Question

Digital Signatures, E-Sign, need for certificates?

• 29 February 2024
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I watched the you tube video and studied what I think is the extend of the information in our help documentation.  In the old days, we needed to have a certificate registered for the person who is doing the signing.  I don’t see references to needing a certificate in the help documents but I do see a Signing Certificates section within the Solution Manager.  Is that what I’m thinking about?

How does all the work?  Do I need to have a person who is signing a document have to be registered as having a signing certificate.  How about for Internal vs External Users?

Is there a place when I can see the whole story behind the use and setup of this functionality?

Patrick

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @PIreland 

You need to upload the user’s certificate in the “Keystores” window and the help documentation should be able to help you on setting up the custom events and other set up

Digital Signatures - Technical Documentation For IFS Cloud

You may want to read below thread as well as it explains a current limitation where signing will only be done with IFSCONNECT user and possible workaround for it

21R2: DOCMAN Digital Signature is not working | IFS Community

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

I suspect Patrick is asking about the new Esign feature in Docman, I think we name it Electronic Signatures. It doesn't require any setup at all. A customer just need to buy it (transactions, really) and they should be good to go. This new solution DOES NOT require certificates in IFS. Adobe are the ones that has the certificates, at least the way we have integrated with them.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

So, when I get a notification that I need to sign a document, Adobe will open.  At least that’s what the video shows.  Does that mean that ANY user to whom I send the request for signaturewill be able to sign or do they need to have something setup on the Adobe App on their machine for this purpose?  Is there an application needed on the signers computer?

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Patrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@PIreland 

No setup is needed, for any participant. It's all driven via e-mail and the signing happens via the web browser, on Adobe's site.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

What you see in the video (if it's the video I think it is) is all you need to know.

For now it's only available in Cloud deployment (not Remote/On Premise).