Solved

Question - Remote Upload to ETM Channel from external source system

• 4 March 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi Everyone,

Most of file transfers from external sources for employee data is done via SFTP currently. We download the source file from an SFTP folder to the integration server and then perform a remote upload command. A bit archaic I know but didn’t have much time during our on-prem to SaaS migration to change this so we kept with it.

A external system that generates one of our source files is going though a revamp and we are looking to get rid of the SFTP servers to transfer the file.

We are thinking of having them directly upload their file to our ETM channel.

Has anyone done this before? If so, a couple of questions:

• Do you have an example of the remote POST command? I do know the examples provided within ETM (powershell and bash) but would like other examples. 
  • What tools/programming language to you use to automate the upload?
  • Did you create a new ETM user for that specific interface?
  • Can we restrict the new ETM user to only upload for a certain channel? Or will they have access to upload to any other channel?

Thank you!

Martin Provost

icon

Best answer by Paul McCulloch 6 March 2023, 17:26

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

A good way to get examples of how to submit a remote upload is via Postman. I’ve attached an example Postman ‘collection’ which shows how to submit a CSV to a channel (also included). If you click the Code “</>” button then Postman will show you how to make that request in a number of languages.

You can use any language that has a decent http library - so use whatever is familiar

You can use the User Role option in the channel configuration to limit access to users with that role. If you grant only that role to a user then they will only be able to access that channel (this will also prevent that user from accessing the ETM UI).

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Thank you so much Paul - this is really helpful.