Solved

Technical Attributes and Class connected to Functional Object

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi All,

I have a question on connecting my Functional Object to a Technical Class (and Attributes).

I did following:

• Created a Technical Class
  • Created Technical Attributes (Numeric and Alphanumeric)
  • Created Technical Class Template and connecting various Technical Atributes to the Class Template, and including ‘Attribute Values’ to the Alphanumeric Attributes
  • Created an Object Type
  • Connected a Technical Class to my Object
  • Specified the correct values for my Technical Attributes connected to the Object Type
  • Approved my Technical Class for the Object Type
  • Navigate to Functional Object
  • Add Object Type to my Functional Object
  • This populated the tab ‘Requirements’ with the attributes from the Technical Class connected to the object type

But…..

Why are the values I specified on the Object Type not copied to the Functional Object? Shouldn’t this be populated as well?

Maybe I am not understanding the functionality correct but I would assume the Technical Attributes of the Object Type Technical Class should be copied together with the exact values that I selected when determining the Object Type Technical Class.

Looking forward to your responses!

Best Regards

Roel

icon

Best answer by Mayura Wasantha 7 May 2024, 19:36

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Timmermans Roel 

You've configured the settings correctly. However, actual outcome doesn't align with your expectations. The setup only carries over the characteristics, not the specific values.

It is outlined in the product documentation,  

---- ----- ----

Let's consider an example using the Object Type 'Centrifugal Pump'.  If a plant or facility has 100-200 centrifugal pumps, it's unlikely that all of them share identical values for characteristics like "Driver Power", "Differential Head", or "Medium".

This discrepancy between the ideal scenario and reality makes it impractical to inherit values for all pumps directly from the Object Type.

I hope this would help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@Timmermans Roel in addition to what Mayura commented.

When you did all the setup and you specify a Type Designation in Functional Object → then in Type Designation tab you get all the attributes with the values that you have specified in the template:

But in the Requirements tab the values will not be inherited. In Requirements you can have object specific values if needed:

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @Mayura Wasantha,

Hi @Marcel.Ausan ,

Thanks for your fast feedback. So if ‘Requirements’ do not inherit the values from the Technical Class of the Object Type. Is there a way to manually set them to a specific value? Or what did you exactly mean by “In Requirements you can have object specific values if needed:”

Reason i’m asking is that I already tried adding/changing values on the ‘Requirements’ but I don’t see functonality that allows me to change anything (I tried 2 different databases but both didn’t allow to make changes. Could also be a permission problem off course).

Can you confirm that we can change value manually? if yes, is it possible that you could provide a printscreen? That would help to apply for changes in the permission set.

Additionally: if values are not inherited from Object Type - Technical Class to the functional object. Is there any use at all to add values to the Technical Class Attributes or should I just ignore the ‘Attributes’ functionality?

Best Regards

Roel

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

When viewing the Functional Object, the default setting for the "Attribute Type" is Both, which enables the visualization of both alpha and numeric attributes. However, when set to Both, the table becomes read-only. If there is a need to manually input specific values, the Attribute Type should be set as either Alpha or Numeric.

Both - Read Only Mode

Numeric - Editable mode

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

THanks for the feedback @Mayura Wasantha . I checked and it worked. This is one thing I would have never tested out myself :-). Very happy with the tip, thank you ;-)