Question

Wadaco- Picture of parts, update from PDM system. How?

• 10 March 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Our PDM system is the master for our parts.

Today we do not have any pictures of the parts in IFS, and we se a potential to put the thumbnails from PDM into the part on IFS. Have anyone done something like that?

Im not experienced in the IFS Media functionality. But I think that the pictures will show up in wadaco if they are saved under media in PART right?

Questions that comes to mind:

1. Is there a quick way to migrate all the parts pictures into IFS, to migrate the files, the first time?
  2. We could probably get the PDM system to dump all new revisions of the thumbnail in order to keep the parts pictures up to date, but how do we import them and replace the old one in IFS.

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hej Oskar,

It will probably depend on which wadaco scan client/app you are using. The only one that I’m 100% it works for is the IEE (Enterprise Explorer client in Apps9/10) since it was primarily developed for that client with a larger screen like truck PC’s and similar where this information could fit on the screen without taking up to much important space. It was not developed for the smaller mobile windows mobile and android clients since they normally don’t have that large screens.

I’m not sure how well or if it works for the newer Aurena and Aurena Native (iOS, Windows, Android) clients, I don’t think it was prioritized that high when those clients where developed. 

So you might need to double check if it actually works for the wadaco client you are intending to use.

Sorry I can’t help you with migration part questions, that is more of object connections functionality that I know nothing about.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Just an update on which wadaco scanning clients the show picture of part (or location) functionality exist, from what I can see it only works for IEE and Aurena, but not for the Aurena Native and older apps for smaller devices.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Another quick note that this functionality only show the picture that is set as Default Image, could be good to think of if you have many pictures or revisions per part.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Thank you Dario,

I will do some initial tests. Do you know if there is any pre-defined process for adding pictures for a part using wadaco and camera? That would be usefull for parts that do not have a picture today that the warehouse staff can add it themselves.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

No the current processes that supports camera functionality don’t save the pictures on the parts, they saved them on the objects that is most connected to the process like Receipt, Shipment, Customer Order, Count Result etc.

If you want to save pictures on parts I guess you either have to use the regular Application and add them that way or it could be possible to maybe customer adapt a part process like count part to support saving pictures to the Part object I guess (it would only require some smaller code changes in 2 files to add that support, but Count Part is location based so then you might save many pictures to the same part. we don’t have any process that goes against one inventory part).

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Its been a while since i did some WaDaCo configuration. How do I get the picture to show up in the process? Like the car did for you? Im now using IEE.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

On the general tab on the configuration client you have to check Enable Media Pane checkbox. It will automatically then show the default Media picture that is saved on your Inventory Part. As I remember this should also work for locations.

But note that it was only developed as a proof of concept mostly, similar to the Signature functionality so there has not been much development on that front since the initial release of wadaco 10 years ago, I’m not 100% sure it will work for all processes.

You might be the first customer I have heard about that will actual use this functionality.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

I got it to work in the Register Arrival process! However, it does not work when i have the image on master part (it is visible in inventory part but as a link). I have to add it specifically on the inventory part.

Does it have to be that way or can i get it inherited automaticcally to the inventory part? It makes sense for us to have the image generated to the global master part.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

I’m no expert on object connections, so I don’t know if there is any inheritance of those between master part and inventory part. But from the wadaco perspective we are using the inventory part and its object connection and the default media it has.