Solved

WADACO Data Collection Configuration "Use automatic value"

• 11 September 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +3

On the WADACO Data Collection Configuration the "Use Automated Value" option in our PROD does not seem to function the same as in our TEST system

We have been using the REPORT_PICK_PART_SO_PICK_LIST config in the prod system and noticed that for some reason prod is behaving differently to test in regards to the automatic value settings in the configuration.

In the “Use automatic Value” field If I select "Default" in the LOCATION_NO and PART_NO fields then in our TEST system the default value from the pick list is presented in the WADACO screen and if I set them to “off” then no value is shown, but in the PROD system it does not matter whether I set it to default or off either way no value is shown. Any ideas why ?

Both systems are running  Apps 10 update 11

icon

Best answer by Dario Zani 13 September 2023, 16:20

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @bear7364,

are the configurations otherwise identical with regards to the order of data items?

Br,

Mikko

Badge +3

Hi @bear7364,

are the configurations otherwise identical with regards to the order of data items?

Br,

Mikko

Hi, yes, both are identical !

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

On the WADACO Data Collection Configuration the "Use Automated Value" option in our PROD does not seem to function the same as in our TEST system

We have been using the REPORT_PICK_PART_SO_PICK_LIST config in the prod system and noticed that for some reason prod is behaving differently to test in regards to the automatic value settings in the configuration.

In the “Use automatic Value” field If I select "Default" in the LOCATION_NO and PART_NO fields then in our TEST system the default value from the pick list is presented in the WADACO screen and if I set them to “off” then no value is shown, but in the PROD system it does not matter whether I set it to default or off either way no value is shown. Any ideas why ?

Both systems are running  Apps 10 update 11

Hi @bear7364 

It could be data dependent, like in TEST you have very little data so the system can find a unique value but in PROD with your current configuration it cannot identify a unique value. What does the LOV show is it empty or only 1 value shown or many? The LOV would be an indicator if there is one unique value or many.

Is there a difference in how Pick By Choice on the Site have been setup between these 2 environments perhaps? 

Show us a picture of the configuration (data item tab) so we get the whole picture how that process have been setup.

Use automatic value will only give a value if only 1 unique value can be found depending on what items you have before in the configuration (they will control the filtering of your current data item), like ideally the record key (unique line id) should have been identified first, other ways it might not know yet which pick list line you are trying to pick.

Badge +3

Here is an example from Live. I have checked stock and the part is only in one location and we can see that 50 are allocated for the picklist we are working on which is 10378. The LOV also only shows the one location.

The pick by choice on both systems is set to 

I have also included the pick list

After manually selecting the location then the part number, the next screen in the WADACO process auto populates as expected

Badge +3

Heres the config for the process

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Ok, I would guess it still probably somehow data dependent in this case if you have a no difference between the environments if all other settings in configuration and Pick By Choice flag is the same.

It is strange the Location LOV shows only 1 record then logically the Use Automatic Value should only find 1 unique value it can display. Might be a minor bug, its hard to say for sure.

It could be worth changing the order of LOCATION_NO and PART_NO in the configuration since if Pick By Choice is active then PART_NO is the bridge between the pick list data source and all possible stock records data source (if we talk a bit more technical here). Not sure if it will make any difference here, but might be worth testing.

Badge +3

I have tried reversing the order so that PART_NO comes before location and it now works but we wanted location first as that is what the user will need the information for first to go to that location to then be shown what part to pick ! 

Does this sound like a bug ?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Ok, then it have something to do with that PART_NO is required in this case since the flow is run in “Pick By Choice mode” so LOCATION_NO will be taken from all possible stock records and not from what was reserved for that pick list.

Normally in similar cases if there is issues like this with the configuration with Pick By Choice we recommend to put PART_NO as early as possible before all other stock keys (which LOCATION_NO is one of) for it work properly.

It feels like its a bit of a fluke that the LOV for LOCATION_NO shows only 1 value, since then the similar code that fetches the Use Automatic Value should normally get similar results, so I’m not sure if there is some slight difference between them or if something else is affecting the result here. Is there perhaps an empty line in the LOV that could be selectable also, that would explain this strange behavior, but at the same time that would indicate that some stock records have a empty Location which I don’t think is possible even.

I would guess in other cases as soon as there is more than one possible location in the warehouse getting a Default value for LOCATION_NO will not work anyway, so it would only work in some rare cases if we fix it anyway. Plus the whole reason with Pick By Choice is to be able to pick from another location than the one that was reserved for this pick list line so trying to fix this might have some impact for other scenarios. In theory we could make the part be internally fetched from the reserved record (or UNIQUE_LINE_ID in this case) so it could be used to filter the LOCATION_NO functionality, but then this will break how Pick By Choice was designed to work, so it is very risky and slippery slope if try and change this it might help your scenario but it will break other scenarios/configurations.