Question

ScanIt - sha1 certificate

• 30 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello, I have a problem with an unsecured connection when I try to connect to the mobility server with a phone. I'm trying to configure the IFS Account Manager application, in this application we're asked for the TAS url and the System ID, when we validate the information we get the error: "*Could not establish a secured connection with the Identity provider". We thought it was a certificate problem, but it's actually installed on the phone. However, this certificate uses sha1, which may be the source of the error, as it is below security standards. The question is, does the application require for example at least sha256, and if so, how can the security level be lowered to accept sha1?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

@avan SHA-1 is certainly not secure, so we strongly recommend against lowering your system’s security level.

I believe you’re on Apps10, and while I couldn’t find 100% conclusive proof in the codebase, I very strongly believe that all apps work with SHA-256 at minimum, so the better option is to upgrade your obsolete and insecure certificates (and any other infrastructure) to be standards compliant.

Cheers,

/Rukmal

@avan SHA-1 is certainly not secure, so we strongly recommend against lowering your system’s security level.

I believe you’re on Apps10, and while I couldn’t find 100% conclusive proof in the codebase, I very strongly believe that all apps work with SHA-256 at minimum, so the better option is to upgrade your obsolete and insecure certificates (and any other infrastructure) to be standards compliant.

Cheers,

/Rukmal

Hello, thank you very much for your reply. We do indeed use Apps10. I completely agree with you that the customer should increase the security level of his certificate. Unfortunately our customer is not able to do this in a reasonable timeframe, so we are forced to find a way to ignore the obsolescence restrictions. Do you know how to force IFS to accept the certificate as secure?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

@avan I’m not entirely sure if this originates from the apps or the TAS, but either way there is no configuration change that can accept SHA-1 certificates. Understandably, we cannot issue a software change that allows this, nor can we really recommend that you downgrade.

The only alternative I see is *if* your TAS has strong SSL termination and this weak certificate is only on the MWS and the MWS is *not* internet-exposed. If that’s the case, perhaps  you can get the TAS to trust the MWS connection - can you share the TAS URL and a screenshot of the error via DM please?