Question

Scan-It vs Wadaco - Speed differences

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi

Our stores people are finding that Wadaco is much faster than Scan-it.

Wadaco accepts text almost instantly, whereas Scan-It thinks about it for 1-2 seconds before processing the field.

Does anyone else experience this or have any suggestions how to get the speed faster?

The only reason we need to use Scan-It is because it provides audible feedback, so when the stores people are scanning it gets a good noise for a correct scan and a ‘bad’ noise for an error.

Thanks

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

@EILCTHOMPSON when you say Wadaco, do you mean using a Windows device with an external scanner?

Can you share the track you are on (I assume IFS Applications 10?) and the versions of Wadaco and Scan It you are using as well as the devices and device OS versions you use for both Wadaco and Scan It please?

Thanks,

Rukmal

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Yeah knowing which track and client you are using would be good to know. In Apps10 we have like 7 different clients (IEE, Aurena, Windows Mobile, iOS, Windows and 2 different clients for Android)  and in Cloud we have 4 different clients (Aurena, iOS, Windows and Android) that we support for wadaco/scanit.

The only one without sound feedback that I know about is the pure Aurena client or Aurena Web client that some call it, due to how that framework don’t handle sounds at the moment.

Is it always slower or does only happen during some special process running or after a while, like if the information list builds up it gets slower and slower for example?

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @Rukmal Fernando 

For Wadaco I mean a Windows 10 device with a barcode scanner and Chrome logged into IFS in the Warehouse Data Collection screen.

We are IFS Cloud, 22.2.8.

Scan-It version is 23.5.867.0 on the same Windows PC (the latest version from the Windows/Microsoft Store), using the same scanning device.

Interestingly, upon checking via google on the Windows Store, there is a later version https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9wzdncrdntbs?hl=en-cx&gl=CX

Thanks

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Dario Zani Scan-It (Windows) it is consistently slower.

We are only taking a second or two.

Or sometimes it can be fast, then slow down, then resume speed.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

@Dario Zani Scan-It (Windows) it is consistently slower.

We are only taking a second or two.

Or sometimes it can be fast, then slow down, then resume speed.

Interesting, so its not Android in this case, since that is usually where we hear that there is issues, especially in Apps10 and when working with large list.

Could you check how many records you have in the tables data_capture_session_tab data_capture_session_line_tab (you can do a count from the data collection session or data collection sessions clients if you dont have access to the database directly with sql commands)? If those are in the millions it could explain the slowness in ScanIt.

There is a cleanup background job that we recommend that you run regularly (like every week or month) to remove old session from these tables ('Remove Data Capture Sessions'). We know it can help the performance for that client a bit, especially in Apps10 but I would guess also in Cloud.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Actually we find Scan It on Android very responsive.

In data_capture_session_tab we have 240,000 rows

In data_capture_session_line_tab we have 8,100,000 rows

I’m guessing that won’t be helping :-)

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Out of interest, what caused the rows to populate?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Actually we find Scan It on Android very responsive.

In data_capture_session_tab we have 240,000 rows

In data_capture_session_line_tab we have 8,100,000 rows

I’m guessing that won’t be helping :-)

Yeah with 8 million session lines, I would suggest you look into that cleanup job, sounds like you should run it from time to time.

I cant explain it easily but the wadaco client and the app works a bit differently how it populate the list and how the code is generated that do that and unfortunate if there is millions of possible session lines it can slow the app down a bit.

But it was interesting to know that you can see a slight performance issue for the windows app in cloud, since we thought that issue didnt exist in the Cloud app and was only happening in Apps10 (where we recently fixed this issue).

Let me know if cleaning up the sessions help, so we can note that down for investigation in the future if we still need to look at the cloud app for this.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

How do we go about running that job?

Thanks

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Also, what is the latest version of the Windows Scan-It app, as the Microsoft Store (on a PC) doesn’t seem to be the most current.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

@EILCTHOMPSON the latest version of IFS Scan It on the Microsoft Store is 24.2.1118 and that is the latest for Windows. The next update of Scan It for Windows will be in mid-April with 24R1 Early Access.

https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9wzdncrdntbs?hl=en-cx&gl=CX

Do you not see any way to update from 23.5.867?

Best regads,

Rukmal

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

How do we go about running that job?

Thanks

You find this cleanup job in ‘Database Task Schedule’ or ‘Database Task Schedules’ pages if you have access to those pages or some administrator have to do it and if its for some reason missing it might be need to be installed by a technician (the file is named RemoveDataCaptureSessions.ins and resides in the wadaco component) you might also have to create the task and schedule it from the ‘New Data Base Task Schedule’ page.