Solved

Error while creating a project in IFS Developer Studio

• 24 January 2022
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi,

Recently I encountered an issue while creating a new project in IFS Developer Studio. After filling all the relevant details regarding project name, target version, DB and when click FINISH.
I get below error as in the screenshot and error stack

This seems to be happening after the update of Developer studio.

Version: IFS Developer Studio 21.82.845200.20211220 (Build 2021-12-20 14:49)

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at java.util.ArrayList.<init>(ArrayList.java:177)
    at ifs.dev.nb.project.api.TestARestPropertiesManager.setTarConnections(TestARestPropertiesManager.java:102)
    at ifs.dev.nb.project.IFSProjectGenerator.setupProject(IFSProjectGenerator.java:144)
    at ifs.dev.nb.project.IFSProjectGenerator.createProject(IFSProjectGenerator.java:69)
    at ifs.dev.nb.project.ui.IFSProjectWizardIterator.instantiate(IFSProjectWizardIterator.java:120)
    at org.openide.loaders.TemplateWizard$InstantiatingIteratorBridge.instantiate(TemplateWizard.java:1053)
    at org.openide.loaders.TemplateWizard.handleInstantiate(TemplateWizard.java:605)
    at org.netbeans.modules.project.ui.NewProjectWizard.handleInstantiate(NewProjectWizard.java:76)
    at org.openide.loaders.TemplateWizard.instantiateNewObjects(TemplateWizard.java:439)
    at org.openide.loaders.TemplateWizardIterImpl.instantiate(TemplateWizardIterImpl.java:248)
    at org.openide.loaders.TemplateWizardIteratorWrapper.instantiate(TemplateWizardIteratorWrapper.java:160)
    at org.openide.WizardDescriptor.callInstantiateOpen(WizardDescriptor.java:1629)
    at org.openide.WizardDescriptor.callInstantiate(WizardDescriptor.java:1570)
    at org.openide.WizardDescriptor.access$2300(WizardDescriptor.java:92)
[catch] at org.openide.WizardDescriptor$Listener$2$1.run(WizardDescriptor.java:2257)
    at org.openide.util.RequestProcessor$Task.run(RequestProcessor.java:1443)
    at org.netbeans.modules.openide.util.GlobalLookup.execute(GlobalLookup.java:68)
    at org.openide.util.lookup.Lookups.executeWith(Lookups.java:303)
    at org.openide.util.RequestProcessor$Processor.run(RequestProcessor.java:2058)

Does anyone has solution to this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Krishna

icon

Best answer by Dinushi Liyanage 25 January 2022, 16:06

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @krishnaifs,

Do you have write access to the specified path?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @Dinushi Liyanage ,

Yes, I have write access.

Actually I have projects in the same path which was created before the Developer studio update and those are working fine.

Also in the error stack, I see NullPointerException. Does this usually occur?

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @Dinushi Liyanage ,

Actually I have projects in the same path which was created before the Developer studio update and those are working fine.

Hi @krishnaifs ,

Could you check if the project.xml file is actually created even though you get this error?
If so, I believe the error message is a bug. If the project.xml exists, then as a workaround perhaps you can try to cancel the project creation and open the project instead.
In the meantime, I will ask about this from the relevant team and get back to you.
This might actually be an issue that is addressed in the latest stable release: 21.82.849000.20220113.

Badge +3

Hi @Dinushi Liyanage ,

Hi @krishnaifs ,

Could you check if the project.xml file is actually created even though you get this error?
If so, I believe the error message is a bug. If the project.xml exists, then as a workaround perhaps you can try to cancel the project creation and open the project instead.
In the meantime, I will ask about this from the relevant team and get back to you.
This might actually be an issue that is addressed in the latest stable release: 21.82.849000.20220113.

Hi,

I’m also getting this error on any new Project I am creating. I checked as you suggested and the “project.xml” file was already created along with the project after the error occured.

I was able to close the prompt and Open the Project successfully and everything seems to be working as normal.

Last time I worked in dev studio was 3-4 months ago and it was fine so it seems strange this has started happening now.

Thanks,

Brandon

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @Dinushi Liyanage,

Thanks for the work-around. I can open the project successfully.

Regards,
Krishna

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @krishnaifs ,
That’s good news!

Hi @BrandonEllis ,
Thank you for sharing!

I believe this is a bug. :thinking:
Could you please check for updates from the tool and update it to the latest version? 

@hamalk - Hi Harshini, Is this something you can help us with? I think version 21.82.845200.20211220 had several issues/bugs.
I had version 21.82.849500.20220120 (Build 2022-01-20 19:33) in my machine and this issue didn’t recreate there. I then updated to 21.82.850800.20220126 (Build 2022-01-26 09:33) today and the issue still doesn’t recreate. This is quite strange, and I assume it’s a bug addressed in the later versions?

Thanks and regards,
Dinushi

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Dinushi Liyanage  and @krishnaifs 

Really sorry for the late reply. Hope you already solved this issue by now. Yes this was a bug in the tool version : 21.82.845200.20211220 and fixed in the next release after this. 

All the issue are fixed in the latest version. 

Thanks 

Harshini

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Thank you for confirming @hamalk ! :blush:

Badge +2

Hi,

How do I get the newer versions?  The one on developer.ifs.com is still the one with the bug.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi,

How do I get the newer versions?  The one on developer.ifs.com is still the one with the bug.

Hi ​​​@arm3357 ,

You can use Help → Check for Updates in the tool itself.

Even though the https://developer.ifs.com/tools/devstudio download shows incorrect version during installation, it has the latest tool. IFS Developer Studio team is aware about this and they notified that it will be corrected in a future update.

Kind regards,
Dinushi

Badge +2

When I go to that site the version is 21.82.845200.20211220.  When I try to tell it to Check for Updates it says There are no updates available.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

When I go to that site the version is 21.82.845200.20211220.  When I try to tell it to Check for Updates it says There are no updates available.

Hi @hamalk , could you please have a look?

Thanks,
Dinushi​​​​​​​