Solved

Extending the size of a char field

• 14 February 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hello,

A customer of mine has asked to extend one of the fields in IFS9.

My immediate answer was: no go. Don't do it.

The change is relatively simple when looking at the table itself, but the remaining things?

What is your opinion on this?

Regards,

Steve

icon

Best answer by MikeArbon 14 February 2020, 14:25

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi,

Does that means customer wants to increase the length of a column in database table?

/Savinda

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

I think you are right, don’t make any changes to standard fields and tables in IFS without checking with IFS as this can - 

1. Invalidate the client’s IFS Support Contract for making changes to standard IFS objects
  2. There could be other dependent objects which will get affected.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Customer wants to have more characters in the field. Here even a field with a lot of references and potential functionality: lot/batch on PO receipt. So I go with your remark, Srikanth, other dependent objects may/will be in place.

Thanks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi

I would never change a table setting in oracle. It may seem to be the obvious fix, but it really is not worth the risk. You may not see a problem for weeks/months/years, but when it does cause a problem, it will be a real headache. All changes should be via an IFS release (as annoying as that may be in some cases). 

Regards

Mike

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

I think adding a custom field that is the size you need could be a reasonable work around.  You can display the custom field and hide the standard field that is too short.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

@Mark.Feldpausch : The customer wants to have a field extended that has extra functionality against it: Part Master Data\Master Part\Part/Lot Tracking\Lot Batch Master for example. So a custom field will not do in my opinion.

Thanks for the input to all. I selected answer of @MikeArbon as best as this is also good to mention to customer.