Question

Document Class LU control

• 10 January 2020
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

We are using document classes to categorize files that can be attached to several different LU’s.  

If there a standard functionality configuration where you can control what document classes can be used for certain screens/LU’s?  We run into problems when a user attaches a file using a document class that should not be used for that screen.  Example:  We might have customer order whereby a user will add a document classified under “Supplier Contract”.  We would never want this added to a customer order.  

Other than creating some kind of event action, is there standard functionality that can control this?

We are on IFS Version 9, Update 8.

Thanks!

10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Not as far as I know, the only limiting aspect would be upon which LU a connection could be made.

Suggestion would be to create a custom view, listing the valid combinations of lu’s vs doc classes and then have an event which checks and rejects (with a message) when the combination is invalid.

If you need a hand with the finer details give a shout.

Rich

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@richardwoods 

We are having the same problem and have to do something about it. Your suggestion:

..create a custom view, listing the valid combinations of lu’s vs doc classes 

Can you elaborate that?

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

When coding an event I hate it when technical people “hard code” variables, yes in the short term its easier but long term just means if processes adapt its a pain in the proverbial…

I would create a custom view, one column referencing the possibly LU’s, another detailing (and this will depend on your processes) either which document class can be attached or which that cant, based on  which option gives fewer lines, for example… If you said there was only one Document Class that wasnt permitted against a single LU, it would make more sense for this event to work on an exclusion list, if on the other hand you said the opposite I would invert it for an inclusion list. 

The event itself just then needs to work on the basis of if the combination of document class vs LU is allowed, blocking the transaction if it isnt. 

Does that make sense??

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

OK, when you say “custom view”, you mean “Custom Logical Unit”?

I have made a prove of concept (please not that this is not fully tested) 

First create a custom LU and page for the LU/Doc_class allowed:

Fill in the combinations allowed:

Create the event:

Create the action:

The code:

declare
  lu_name_ varchar2(2000);
  doc_class_ varchar2(2000) ;
  n_ integer;
begin

select '&NEW:LU_NAME',  '&NEW:DOC_CLASS' into lu_name_,  doc_class_ from dual;
  select count(*) into n_ from IND_LU_DOC_CLASS_CLV v where upper(v.cf$_doc_class) = upper(doc_class_) and  upper(v.CF$_LU) = upper(lu_name_);

--Doc class not allowed for LU
  if (n_=0) then
      raise_application_error (-20100,'Attachment not allowed here for document class "'|| doc_class_ || '"');
  end if;

end;

Test:

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

In Apps 10, there is also functionality to suggest a certain document class, based on the object type (LU), when creating a new document from the attachment panel. Have a look at the screen Document Object Connection Default Values. Also make sure to read the documentation that explains how it works.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Without using an event you cannot configure, if a document class can be used in several LU or only in specific LU. But you can define the default document class per LU and even with considering the content of the keys of the LU in the mask “Document Basic” at tab "Document Defaults per Object"

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

In Apps 10, there is also functionality to suggest a certain document class, based on the object type (LU), when creating a new document from the attachment panel. Have a look at the screen Document Object Connection Default Values. Also make sure to read the documentation that explains how it works.

I also meant what Sarah posted about above, but I misremembered the place where we can configure this :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

I also meant what Sarah posted about above, but I misremembered the place where we can configure this :)

your mentioned basic data is also great :-) But it controls other things.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

It sure does, and they control very much “related things”. Since I designed and developed both of these myself, seems I even have confused myself with the naming… :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

It sure does, and they control very much “related things”. Since I designed and developed both of these myself, seems I even have confused myself with the naming… :)

Great work :-)