Question

Running IFS with millions of articles

• 25 November 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

we are beginning the implementation of IFS and we have a big articles database (~10 millions). Does somebody know if we can integrate this amount of articles in the IFS database or how to manage it ?

Thanks a lot for your answers

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

With “article” do you mean what we in IFS often refer to as “parts” (inventory, purchase, etc.), or something like “written articles”? (In Swedish, we use the word “artikel” for “part” in IFS).

If this is about parts, possibly another forum here is a better place to discuss that. For sure, parts are used in asset management, but I think the core of the part handling is in supply chain.

Or perhaps you did have an asset management perspective on it?

10 million parts is probably a lot, but I am sure we have customers that have a similar amount of them.

Now I will let you comment and we can see if we should move this thread to another forum or keep it here.

Thanks!

Badge +1

Thanks Mathias!  Yes I am talking about parts, so sorry not to have written in the good thread...

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

No worries. I moved the thread to Supply Chain. Let’s see if someone will have something interesting to say there :)

For what purposes do you use all these parts? Manufacturing? Service? Maintenance?

Badge +1

It is only for trading

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Without knowing in detail what flows and usage pattern the application is supposed to have I can give a general answer.

We have customers with similar volumes and Oracle is generally good at handing larger volumes.

Some advice given the data volumes you are talking about is to use custom query's carefully, in some cases indexes might need to be customized as well.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I can only agree with Fredrik Stenén. That number of records in the database tables is not a problem in itself. Oracle handles it well. 

Performance problems usually is an effect of high transactional volumes rather than big basic data tables. Then also it depends on how you have configured the application, if customer is using serial tracking, handling units, certain inventory valuation methods, big product structures etcetera.