Question

Indivisible Quantities in Inventory

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello,

Our customer has spools of wire in inventory,  Each may have different lengths of wire.  One thing is certain, they quantity that they need has to be continuous.  
The could supply 500 ft from a 600 ft Qty in Stock for a single item.  But, they cannot supply 500 ft with a 400 ft piece and a 100 ft piece.  They use the term “Indivisible”.
We’re looking for a way to tell the system that we only want to pick from a single spool and not have it think that even though we have have plenty in stock, that we can fulfill that demand by use two or more lengths.

Has anyone worked a solution for this?

Thank you

Patrick

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@PIreland May I know how you defined/wish to define your Sales Part(s) here?

Basically I need to know is whether you have one Single Sales Part with Length as one of the the Quantity values (Sales Quantity, Inventory Quantity, ..) or Wire spools/rolls as separate Sales Parts based on the original cut length (I.e. 600 ft, 500 ft, 400 ft, 100 ft likewise)?

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi Kaniska,

No Sales Part are being use, it’s all used on a Shop Order or Work Order that specifies a quantity.  We aren’t using separate inventory part numbers.

Thank you

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@PIreland Thanks for the clarification. So, its all about reserving materials from inventory against a given Shop Order/Work order demand subjected to the condition that available quantity on that Spool is >= required quantity.

Anyway, I would also like to know how you distinguish between Spools in your Customer’s system? If the Inventory Part is same, are they stored in separate Locations in IFS? If that is the case, all we need a mechanism to restrict Multi Location allocations and thereby instruct system to do reservations from a single Location all the time. Then there is no way you could end up Reserving Partial quantities from two or more locations and system will always reserve from a Location that has enough Wire length.

Please comment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Consider this post which is related to lengths of raw material, but similar problem you are describing.

Full spools would be listed at the main part number, use the W/D/R number to setup lengths that are less than full spool

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Interesting ideas.  I’ll forward to our Supply Chain person and discuss with our team to see if either of these sparks an idea.

Thank you

Patrick

Badge +1

Hi Patrick

I’m currently working with a prospect that has the same requirement to manage spools of wire inventory.  Your original post was six months ago, so really interested to know if your customer went with this solution or found another way?

Thanks

Richard