Solved

Implications of Unreceiving a Part

• 21 July 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

Hi all, 

Wondering if anyone has dealt with unreceiving a part in IFS. Specifically, let’s say there is the following scenario:

Receiver in warehouse receives items on PO 12345. After completing receiving, it is discovered that something is wrong with part/they over received/or something else causing the need to “Unreceive” parts. 

Does anyone have this function turned on in IFS and if so, do you have some pros & cons and best practices on dealing with these situations?

Any information on what potential implications could arise from unreceiving - first thought is Finance with invoicing, etc. 

Thank you,

Steph

icon

Best answer by ShawnBerk 22 July 2022, 04:41

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

We literally do this a half dozen times a week across various sites due to errors (drives me nuts), but the implications are to put things back as if they weren’t received at all - which is often what you want.  Here is one just from today:

The ARRIVAL transaction puts things to inventory as you would expect.

The UNRCPT- transaction just reverses the transaction

There is no adverse problem or even a pro/con situation.  It is simply the way to reverse a receipt so it can be corrected.  The key is it has to be caught before the transaction has moved on to other objects (shop order/customer order) and before it is invoiced.  Once invoiced it can’t be undone from here using the Unreceive.  Once issued, the issuing tranaction would also need backed out to get the item back to the same location to unreceive.

This transaction is your friend for correcting errors, you will definitely want it unless your receiving department never makes errors.

Badge +2

We literally do this a half dozen times a week across various sites due to errors (drives me nuts), but the implications are to put things back as if they weren’t received at all - which is often what you want.  Here is one just from today:

The ARRIVAL transaction puts things to inventory as you would expect.

The UNRCPT- transaction just reverses the transaction

There is no adverse problem or even a pro/con situation.  It is simply the way to reverse a receipt so it can be corrected.  The key is it has to be caught before the transaction has moved on to other objects (shop order/customer order) and before it is invoiced.  Once invoiced it can’t be undone from here using the Unreceive.  Once issued, the issuing tranaction would also need backed out to get the item back to the same location to unreceive.

This transaction is your friend for correcting errors, you will definitely want it unless your receiving department never makes errors.

Thank you so much Shawn. This is great information and I appreciate the screenshots you provided as well. We have a couple instances where items have been invoiced (and paid) so those are a whole set of issues that will have to be tackled. 

Appreciate your response. 

Badge +2

@ShawnBerk do you know of the implications of unreceiving on items that have been invoiced or invoiced & paid? Is this even possible?

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

@skauntz 

You can’t unreceive invoiced items unless you cancel at least the postings assuming it hasn’t been finally posted.  If it has been finally posted, you have to cancel the whole invoice.

You can’t unreceive invoiced and paid items unless you first cancel the payment, then cancel the  invoice.

This latter version - we never do - it creates such a mess with trying to say you didn’t pay a supplier when you actually did, it is just not worth it to us.  If it gets this far, we go a different route with inventory correction and usually can’t get things to be 100% clean.  Often it takes finance doing a manual adjustment between accounts or otherwise reconciling the receipts against invoices against payments.  So many variations here, each has to be traced on its on unique problem it presents.

In the end, I try to drag as many people into the process who created the problem in the first place and make them live the pain of fixing it, because deterrence is the best remedy really.

Badge +2

Ok, that’s is great information! Thank you so much @ShawnBerk. I will pass along this info, I think it will help to get the point across to some departments on the importance of doing things correct the first time. :)

Take care,
Steph

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hello,

I'd like to ask a question, the answers are clear, but I had this case on a reception cancellation and I can't explain why my M8 posting went off?

Would you have an idea please?