Solved

Auto reservation from default location

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

does the default location in Inventory Part works for auto reservation? We have a situation where the auto reservation happens from a location which is not set as default. and in this situation based on which condition the parts are auto reserved? we have IFSAPP 9

icon

Best answer by dewauk 31 May 2022, 17:09

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

I don’t think that it is explained well, it is somewhat random based on the most recent transaction for that part in that site.  Other than keeping all of the inventory always in one location and only reserving from that location, I don’t think there are any controls to restrict the reservation in V9.  There are some additional controls in V10, but not based on location.  If you have locations that you want to restrict from providing a part reservation, you have to use Availability Controls to block auto-reservation from those locations.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I don’t think that it is explained well, it is somewhat random based on the most recent transaction for that part in that site.  Other than keeping all of the inventory always in one location and only reserving from that location, I don’t think there are any controls to restrict the reservation in V9.  There are some additional controls in V10, but not based on location.  If you have locations that you want to restrict from providing a part reservation, you have to use Availability Controls to block auto-reservation from those locations.

I have tried the availability controls on both location and inventory part in stock. The system auto reserves the ones with the nearest expiration date. And even if the expiration dates match for all locations it still doesn't auto reserve using the location with set availability control. Am i missing something?

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Ahhh, you are using expiration dates which is an additional over-ride to the process that I didn’t think about because we don’t use it.  I’m actually not sure how the availability controls interact with expiration dates because that isn’t one of the available control parameters for them.  It is possible that the expiration date over-rides the control setting, but the truth is I don’t know.  Sorry, I don’t have a full answer.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi, just to clarify, the default location is used to facilitate the receipt handling of a part when registering the arrival and not the reservation process. I believe in APPS 9 the basic principle is FIFO with the added priority of expiration date where these are defined i.e. earliest expiration date, any durability days/rules defined per part / customer, and where these are not used then standard reservation will be based on FIFO.

As mentioned above there are some additional controls in later versions to handle reservations, but I think based on the above the only option you have is to ensure that all other locations than the one you want to be able to reserve from are set with an Availability control where auto reservation is set to ‘not allowed’ therefore forcing the system to only use the location(s) with no controls. This could become a maintenance nightmare unless you have some logic/process to stock being replenished in the location stock should be reserved from. I think in Apps 9 you do have the option of setting a default availability control at location level and therefore any goods received into these locations will not allow reservations by default until the stock is moved to its ‘default’ location allowing reservations. 

I hope that makes some sense :-)

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi, just to clarify, the default location is used to facilitate the receipt handling of a part when registering the arrival and not the reservation process. I believe in APPS 9 the basic principle is FIFO with the added priority of expiration date where these are defined i.e. earliest expiration date, any durability days/rules defined per part / customer, and where these are not used then standard reservation will be based on FIFO.

As mentioned above there are some additional controls in later versions to handle reservations, but I think based on the above the only option you have is to ensure that all other locations than the one you want to be able to reserve from are set with an Availability control where auto reservation is set to ‘not allowed’ therefore forcing the system to only use the location(s) with no controls. This could become a maintenance nightmare unless you have some logic/process to stock being replenished in the location stock should be reserved from. I think in Apps 9 you do have the option of setting a default availability control at location level and therefore any goods received into these locations will not allow reservations by default until the stock is moved to its ‘default’ location allowing reservations. 

I hope that makes some sense :-)

@dewauk 

Thank you so much, It worked. I setup the rest of the locations as No auto reservation and forced the system.