Question

When scheduling All Parts Cost Calculation job what are the best practices ?

• 19 December 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

We encounter a situation in a Customer environment that scheduled job for ‘All Parts Cost Calculation’ creates issues due to its long running time. 

Customer runs this job on a site that has nearly 30k parts. For the cost set 2. and for Active part status. Both the Include Configurable Parts and Copy Estimated Mtrl. Cost From Inventory Part ticks ON. The default batch queue has been used. 

Please suggest any best practices known when comes to scheduling this job.  

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I had a customer that had problems with the same task cause there was a negative calculation in some parts due to by-product cost distribution (sum of all components’ cost was lower than by-products’ cost). The task took very long time and many times we had to kill it. I created a query to find out which products create this problem (negative cost) and after solve them by unchecking by-product cost distribution the task worked once again.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Your entry didn’t specify how long it is running.  We have a site with nearly 3 million parts and the All Parts Cost Calculation runs in about 1 hour.  We have another site with 112,000 parts and the same job takes nearly 3 hours.  The slower site has much deeper structures and we assume that is the difference.   We uncheck “include Configurable”.  We are on Apps 10 UPD6.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I also am interested in feedback.  We are on Apps9, running on Average Costing, and have similar issues with this task.  Site with 20k records taking 2.5 hrs across the four cost sets…  I’ve unchecked the “include configurable” as we don’t use configurable parts to see if this makes any difference.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

We had the same issue, and it took in excess of 5 hours, often not completing. We found that unchecking ‘Include Configurable’ resolved this issue, cutting time down to 20-30 mins.