Solved

Updating MWO SERVICE 10 App version into latest version

• 5 September 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7
  • Sidekick (Customer)
  • 47 replies

Dear all, We are currently using the IFS MWO SERVICE 10 App version 10.13.1360.0 and need to update to the latest version (10.20.1419.0), through App Store. (iOS Devices). Would you kindly advise if this is performed, the devices need to be initialized and as a precautionary measure do we need to advice all the devices to keep on idle mode or disconnected? Many thanks for your kind thoughts and advice.

icon

Best answer by Rukmal Fernando 5 September 2023, 06:44

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @ISD, initialization is required only if the underlying database structure has changed and we aim to avoid such changes. So I’d expect that a re-init is not needed. That said, you seem to be jumping 7 updates, so there might be such changes.

Perhaps you can try to update a single device and see how it goes. Given that re-init can be an expensive operation, you’d then know if you should plan for all users to re-init.

Can you elaborate more on the second part of your question, of keeping devices on idle mode or disconnected please?

Best regards,

Rukmal

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi @Rukmal Fernando Thanks for your kind attention and advice. As you have suggested sure i shall try updating a one device and see how it goes since, we are aiming 07 updates at once. 

Apologies for the confusion and actually i meant having the App on minimize stage in the device, is possible when we are updating the App or all Users have to logout from the devices prior to update to the latest version.?

As an extra question, we are having around 50 Mobile Users and all the MWO Apps need to be updated. Would you kindly advise if this has to be handled by each User by visiting to AppsStore and get the updates or do we have a way if we could handle it from the Backoffice to get all those devices updated? Thanks again for your kind thoughts and advice. 🙂 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

@ISD I don’t see the need to logout from the app, but perhaps others who’ve seen this first hand in actual usage scenarios would have some suggestions 🙂

When it comes to updating MWO for 50 users, if you want to do it from a backoffice perspective, you’d probably have to look at an MDM solution. Sounds like you’re not using an MDM right now, so in that case, the users would have to trigger the update.

Hope this helps!

Rukmal

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi @Rukmal Fernando Thanks for your kind advice. Sure, will attempt of having one device updated and see the progress. 😊

Furthermore if possible, would you be kindly able to provide a brief idea about the MDM solution and how we could use in this scenario? 🙂 Many thanks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

@ISD among other things, an MDM solution will allow you to manage which apps are automatically deployed on to your “managed” devices, and control the version of software, so that you can control when updates that we publish to the Store get rolled out to different users.

While this is not an endorsement, some of the MDM solutions we’ve seen some of our customers use include Microsoft Intune, SOTI MobiControl and Citrix XenMobile.

I hope this helps!

Rukmal

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi @Rukmal Fernando well noted and many thanks for your kind comprehensive explanation. Sure, I shall keep our IT team informed about this solution for future use. Thanks. 🙂