Solved

Report rule creates doc attachment - no file in FTP

• 3 August 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hello all,

I have a report rule in Apps10 Upd 8 which creates a document revision from the report and creates an attachment - in my case for Customer Invoice:

The document class used in my report rule is setup to store the file in an FTP server:

When I run the report, the document revision is created and attached to the customer invoice, as per expectations.

However, the PDF file is not transferred to the FTP server. Then, it is impossible to open the file from the document revision.

I have checked the logs on the FTP server, but no connection is opened, and there is no trace of file transfer.

Note: if I change the EDM repository type for this document class from FTP to Database then the file is correctly added to the document revision and I can consult it.

Does anyone already face this issue? Is there any specific setup to do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Gladys.

icon

Best answer by Mathias Dahl 5 August 2021, 14:51

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

The feature to save report PDF files in Docman only supports the Database repository. Is there some reason you want to keep this files on a FTP server?

/Mathias

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

@Mathias Dahl 

For us yes, FTP became a necessity because the document repository size was causing backups to take so long it was outside our maintenance window tolerance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

Yes, database size become a problem for some customers with large volumes of document files, depending on backup and recovery strategy and Oracle competence.

You don't have a choice in this case though. What you can do is to keep these reports in a specific class which uses the Database repository and then regularly (depending on how fast your database grows because of these reports) move the documents to your FTP repository. It's a fairly simple process that you initiate manually but which then runs in the background until done.

Thanks!

/Mathias

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi,

The feature to save report PDF files in Docman only supports the Database repository. Is there some reason you want to keep this files on a FTP server?

/Mathias

Hello Mathias,
Thanks for your reply.
The reason we want to keep this on a FTP server is that the PDF document + other documents connected to the customer invoice, must be transfered to other applications (for example, Neotouch : a French mail supplier which have an OCR to scan invoices, pack/print them and send that to the postal address). Therefore, it is required to have these documents available from those applications in an FTP repository.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

The reason we want to keep this on a FTP server is that the PDF document + other documents connected to the customer invoice, must be transfered to other applications (for example, Neotouch : a French mail supplier which have an OCR to scan invoices, pack/print them and send that to the postal address). Therefore, it is required to have these documents available from those applications in an FTP repository.

Thanks, I suspected as much :-)

Then you have two options: either take the manual approach I outlined above, or to make a small modification, or possibly configuration, to move the files from the database to the FTP. Most probably a custom even can do it (= configuration, even though you need to write some PL/SQL code), using PL/SQL APIs that we use ourselves for the “manual” move. You should look into what we do in Edm_File_API.Execute_Batch_Transfer, and the code that follows.

Good luck!

/Mathias

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

You don't have a choice in this case though.

This is good info to know.  Thanks, there is no problem splitting out certain documents to a particular class and managing them differently, it is the ‘knowing’ that it needs to be done that way that is the problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

You don't have a choice in this case though.

This is good info to know.  Thanks, there is no problem splitting out certain documents to a particular class and managing them differently, it is the ‘knowing’ that it needs to be done that way that is the problem.

Agreed. We looked at this in our support team now and there is actually an error thrown in the code if you are not using the Database repository. The problem is that that error don’t seem to reach the user (from what we know). We’ll make sure to either update the documentation on this feature (reporting rules, not Docman) and/or see if the error can be made to show up somewhere (perhaps some log).