Question

MWO - Time Zones

• 24 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Dear all,

Let’s say, I start an assignment in MWO when I am in Montreal, then I take the plane and I go to Vancouver where I run again MWO and continue with my assignment.

Everytime an update is done on my assignment via MWO, what is the time recorded in IFS Cloud?

Of course, for time spent, I use the Actual Start and Actual Finish which are manually entered.

But wwhat about the time automatically recorded in IFS cloud?

The time where I am currently (Vancouver)? or the Server time (Montreal)?

Thank you

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi,

MWO always takes the device date/time. If the date/time coming in from MWO is earlier than the server (site) time, the time is replaced by the sever (site) time. Otherwise it is recorded as it is. 

As server time (Montreal) is ahead of MWO time (Vancouver) in your example, the date/time coming in from MWO will be recorded as it is in Cloud I believe.  

Thanks

Sampath

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi,

thanks for reply.

Well, when cliking on Travel, Pause, Complete, Incomplete… all these actions do not require manul date inputs.

So, some time is recorded in MWO (let’s say in offline mode) for each action.

==> does it keep/use Server Time as reference (Montreal)? or does it use the Device new time?

At the end, the risk is to have time recorded for each action (Travel, Pause, Start...) but no time coherence?

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi,

All actions take the device time by default. If for some reason , this happens to be a future time with reference to site time of the task, it is replaced by site date on saving to the database. 

Time zone handling is an area that Rnd has already identified for improvement, with investment underway that will be handled over the next few releases.

In the current core application, there is no functionality to support this properly. Site basic data only has an offset, and there is no time zone attached to the site. 

An alternative option to keep this  somewhat consistent is to lock device time zone to one time zone.

regards,

Uthpala