Question

mwo time zone description

• 25 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

How does the time zone field in mobile_device_location work?

Does IFS make a call to an external service, passing the latitude and longitude?

Does it handle daylight savings?

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi Paul,

This is sent by the device together with the location. Device has used Time Zone Info API to get the time zone in the past. But I think we still do not support daylight saving. However it ‘s available in the API but not sure why it has not taken. We will check this and come back.

Badge +1

Hi Paul,

All of this information is obtained from the device.  Much depends on the device’s settings outside of our control, but in general, most devices are configured by default to automatically set the date/time and the time zone based on the current location information (GPS).

Details of the current time zone (Daylight saving, offset time from UTC etc.) is based on a database of international definitions and standards (IANA) which we use in conjunction with the device supplied information. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Thanks guys

I guess I’m a little surprised that we can get a consistent format e.g. “GMT-05:00” from such an assortment of devices/operating systems.  But ok - that must be thanks to the IANA john refers to.