Question

Limit Technician Survey Response/Answer Length

• 8 December 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello, 

We use our surveys to close out information about changes to equipment in the field.  The information collected from the technicians gets sent to another system that is used as the system of record.  Many of the fields in the database of the system of record have field length limitations which will fail to update when a response from the tech is longer than the allowed length.  Using masking to limit the field is an option however, the Mask is displayed in MWO as part of the question and also updates the field input with the mask info, so using this isn’t very attractive.

2 questions:

1. Is there any way to limit the response length that the technician can enter into the survey answer in MWO
  2. When  using masking for survey question/answers is there any way to hide the masking hint (%%%%%%%%%%%) that displays in the question and the response field in MWO for the technician.

Thanks, 

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @rroges, have you tried reducing the MaxLength of the survey field using Page Designer to restrict the input?

I tried this just now on the Task Details screen by setting the Description and Long Description fields to MaxLength of 10 and 20 respectively (they default too 60 and 4000 respectively).

Once I save, publish and (re)initialize MWO, I can see this reflected in the app where I can’t type more than the MaxLength number of characters.

The one downside compared with the mask approach is that your user doesn’t see in advance how much they can enter - instead, the field stops accepting input, but it might still work in your case, once the technicians get used to the behaviour.

Best regards,

Rukmal

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi

It is a nice suggestion from Rukmal but I doubt weather it fits with MWO surveys as those are dynamic. In that case I guess a customization would be needed to limit the character length on required survey question types.

And I don’t think we can remove the mask hint from the question and the input field without a customization.

Thanks

Sampath

I’ve created an Idea for this issue to see if it is prioritized high enough to be brought into the product roadmap. https://community.ifs.com/ideas/limit-technician-survey-response-answer-length-43843