Solved

In the MWO app, what is a forced initialization?

• 28 March 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

According to the IFS documentation, there are two types of initialization defined as follows:

1. Initialization - sends pending transactions to the mobile app,; deleted local database on mobile app; re-syncs all data.
  2. Force Initialization (which only becomes available after selecting an initialization) - immediately deletes the local database on the mobile app including any pending transactions; re-syncs all data.

Following are the only ways I am aware of when an initialization occurs.

• The first time a new user logs into the mobile app.
  • When the user logs in from the Activate box after Deactivating.
  • Clicking on the Initialize button in the mobile app.
  • Clicking on the Force Initialize button in the mobile app.

Questions

We’d like to avoid having a user Force Initialize so no transactions are lost. So here are my questions:

1. Besides the Force Initialize button, are any of the examples above considered a Force Initialization?
  2. Are there any other says to perform a Force Initialization?
  3. Are there any scenarios when you would want to Force Initialize?

thanks

icon

Best answer by kathlk 31 March 2022, 08:46

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi @hmccabe ,

Force Initialize is designed to use in specific scenarios as last option. e.g. Ongoing initialization is stuck or some corrupted messages stuck in out queue and no other option to recover.

If you see users are frequently using Force Initialize option, then you need to check the root problem/reason behind that. 

Cheers,

B

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi @hmccabe ,

To answer your questions:

1. The only time you force initialize is through that button itself. All other options listed are simply an initialization.
  2. No, usually force-initializations are not encouraged due to potential data-loss therefore the only option to do it is after starting an initialization. When initializing, if there are pending transactions it will attempt to upload them and then request an initialization, by forcing this you will immediately delete the mobile DB and start the request for an initialization.
  3. I haven’t seen anyone make much use of the force initialization myself but based on the description, I would guess its a last resort but usually an initialization would do the trick. Even then, initializations should not happen as often. Ideally you should be able to use the application consistently without initializing the application. Data will come to the mobile with the use of Push and Batch delivery methods.

If you are probably testing the application and do not really care about what transactions are being performed you can use force-initialization but usually initialization itself would suffice.

/Ibrahim

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Ibrahim Naazir  - If user deactivate the device means he will need to re activate which means it does the Force Init scenario (i.e. local data will be wiped out). 

/Kapila 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Thank you all for your responses. They are very helpful!

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

When the system prompts a user to reinitialize, is that also considered a Force Initialization?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@kathlk Ah yes that is true. Thanks for correcting. Regarding @hmccabe’s new question, when we are asked to initialize, is that a force initialize? Will it upload any pending transactions in this case for new metadata?

/Ibrahim

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi,

When system (back office) asked end users to initialized their device due to new configuration has changed, then it’s always perform normal initialize(i.e. your pending transactions will be uploaded first before start the initialization) . Hope this clarify your question.

Thanks

Kapila