Solved

IFS 8 Print Agent starts, loads config, connects to IFS but never picks up print jobs in the queue

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

I have implemented the IFS 8 Print agent on as windows server. The print agent starts and the log shows no errors. It successfully connects to the application but does not see the print jobs in the queue. The queue shows all jobs in  “remote waiting” status.

When I turn on debug in the print agent it shows it is “getting remote job” followed by “no jobs found” even though there are jobs in the queue.

icon

Best answer by dmanuele 14 November 2022, 14:55

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi,

For a PA to pick the jobs, first you need to print to a Logical Printer from the client. Afterwards a print job is crated and as you say it’s status is “Remote waiting”.

Then when you install the PA, you need to configure the logical printers and map logical printers to the physical printer in the printagent_conf.xml. In the below example, PRINTER1 is the logical printer you printed to and the \\GBGFS1\GBG2M is the physical printer. You need to have  <PRINTER_MAPPING> blocks for all logical printers the PA should handle inside the  <PRINTER_MAPPINGS> tag. The the PA will try to fetch the print jobs that are printed to the logical printer that it’s configured to print.

<PRINTER_MAPPINGS>
    <PRINTER_MAPPING>
      <LOGICAL>PRINTER1</LOGICAL> 
      <PHYSICAL>\\GBGFS1\GBG2M</PHYSICAL> 
    </PRINTER_MAPPING>
  </PRINTER_MAPPINGS>

Also, verify that the url the PA is polling is correct. This is there in the <URL> in the printagent_conf.xml file. Maybe, the PA is pooling a different server and you are logged on to a different server through the client. 

More information could be found at,

https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/Foundation1/020_installation/400_installation_options/005_operational_reporting/020_install_print_agents/default.htm

Regards,

Chanaka

Badge +2

I have implemented the IFS 8 Print agent on as windows server. The print agent starts and the log shows no errors. It successfully connects to the application but does not see the print jobs in the queue. The queue shows all jobs in  “remote waiting” status.

When I turn on debug in the print agent it shows it is “getting remote job” followed by “no jobs found” even though there are jobs in the queue.

Just wondering if you made any progress with this issue?

We have the same problem but only with one report - others configured for the same PA and other PAs print fine.

It only seems to affect invoices created in a batch on a background job.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Thank you Chanaka.

I have defined the logical printers in the printagent_conf.xml and see the mappings in the log. Now I see a message that the printer name is invalid. That’s progress. I’ll try to figure out what is wrong with the mapping and update this thread.

I will also check the link you provided for other clues.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Ultimately the problem with the invalid printer had to do with the configuration of the printer on the server where the print agent was running. We deleted and recreated the printer queue on the server and verified the name in the printagent_conf.xml. The issue is now resolved.