Question

Document Footer in Multiple Languages

• 19 October 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Using IFS Report Designer, how can I print the document footer in multiple languages.  It looks like there can be only one document footer per report. The report is by company and with in the company multiple languages could be printed. 

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

What do you want to put in the footer (in English) -

I mean, is it static or dynamic?

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

The information is static.   There are headings that need to be translated  to English.  Most of the information in the footing remains the same and doesn’t require translation. Is there a way to have more than one document footing per report/language?    

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

There are a couple of functions within report designer -

Probably the cleanest is to use Display Conditions attached to fields.  Basically “only display this box if language = ‘en’”; then you would have another field, with condition language=fr, and es, etc.  You can stack the fields on top of each other and only one will display.

You could also have a single field with a formula; from memory I think the syntax is str_translate or something like that.  It allows you to list out a number of translations, and will return one of them based on logic.

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Alternatively, you could use a custom field in IFS and put all the language translation logic (IF-THEN etc) in there.  Then just display that one field in the report.    

To be able to do this, you would need to be able to “know” which language is to be used; for example, if it’s an invoice for a customer with language = es, then do I know it should use es?  If it’s up to the user (when they run the print) to decide which language to use, then i don’t think this approach will work, since there would be no way to program the custom field to know that.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hello Paul, 

Thanks for the suggestions.  Most likely we will use Display Conditions attached to the fields.  Like you said it is the cleanest to setup.   However, it becomes a maintenance nightmare if any of the data  changes.  

Best regards. 

Mark 

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Use the Company Attribute Translation instead.