Solved

Work order management for internal requests

• 11 October 2020
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

We are looking for a basic menu and I need to know if we can use the work order management for internal requests. Let me explain.

We have in-house a mechanical department which supports the creation/manufacturing of tools flow but also the modification and the repair of them. Those tools are then used for the manufacturing of our inventory parts.

Any employee can do such a request of work and we need to manage all these requests on which we need to have dates (created, requested, finished), assigned to, time and operations. So, there is no customer, as customer but this is an internal customer.

Is the Service and Maintenance menu appropriate for this kind of request ? or is there anything else which meet the need in IFS ?

icon

Best answer by Thilini Kumarasinghe 14 October 2020, 18:07

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi Carole,

When it comes to work order management, we have Enterprise Asset management and Enterprise Service management.

Enterprise Asset management:

Here let’s assume you are a manufacturing company and you have a maintenance department which will do the repairs if a machine is broken. I.e this is for in-house repairs. This repair / maintenance work is not done to earn a revenue from an outside customer but to keep the day to day operations ongoing, minimizing the cost of sudden breakdowns. (i.e if the air conditioner in the office breaks down we will repair it internally)

Enterprise Service management.

Here of course you can do you own repairs, but you will do maintenance services /repairs for outside customers as well and can generate a revenue. (i.e the company will provide  maintenance services for air conditioners for there clients)

For both purposes, same work order form can be used, for Enterprise Asset management – without filling customer details  (or entering internal customer) and for Enterprise Service management – filling customer details. You can enter operations, object details, employee details, report time, issue materials, return the broken parts etc.

Best Regards,

Thilini

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks Thilini for clarification !

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

The name of the menu in IFS is Asset management ? because it seems that we do not have it.. We have “service and maintenance” and “MRO fleet operation” (Apps 8)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

No Carole, even though we categorize that way, all the needed forms are available under Service and Maintenance (for both asset management and service management - For example if you use the prepare work order form - you have CO information tab where you can enter details if the work is done for an outside customer. if it is internal work - keep the customer details in the tab blank.)

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Yes, you are right.

But my concerns now, is that I cannot have a work order on design object. The system does not allow me to select it because we do not have the asset design. The tools I am speaking are not équipements.
Is it correct ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Have you registered the tools as objects in the system ? (In Service and Maintenance\Equipment\Object\Objects) - If yes, then you can use them in the work order.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Yes, we created our tools as objects. But what is troubles me is the word “design object” in the connection type of the work order.
What is the meaning of deisgn object in IFS ? I do not want to be on the wrong path

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi Carole,

Please find below details regarding design objects.

Design Objects

An object is a function with requirements data to satisfy a certain process. For example, a pump object moving feed water from one tank to another would have requirements data of temperature, pressure, capacity, and material, among others. This data is based on the process requirements of a pump moving 25 liters of water per minute 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. This object is registered within IFS/Asset Design and the requirements data is saved along with it. Often a design part (e.g., a physical pump meeting the object's process requirements) holding technical data from a supplier is registered in IFS/Asset Design and related to the object. 

Objects are the focal point within a design. An object is the hub for relations to other IFS/Asset Design information sources. For example, a pump object might have relations for a design part (pump), the motor that drives it, documents (CAD drawings and technical specifications), and other objects involved within a process (such as tanks and pipes).  

Types of Objects

There are three types of general objects:

• Functional: These types of logical objects are the most common type of object in IFS/Asset Design. Functional objects include instrument loops, areas, systems, departments, instruments, pumps, pipes and cables, among others. Functional objects are concerned with process requirements, but not where these processes take place. 
  • Locational: These types of objects include buildings, rooms, and floor levels, among others. Locational objects, unlike functional objects, are concerned with where the process takes place. 
  • Process/Stream Data: This type of object contains stream data requirements at a given point within the process. For example, pressure, viscosity, and temperature status for a certain media after leaving a tank and before going through a pump. 

Note: Classes are defined to allow functional and/or locational relations. An object inherits this designation by belonging to the class. Class properties can be set to display functional and/or locational class relational structures on object tree views within the Business Object Explorer. You will register and work with objects in much the same manner, whether their class allows functional and/or locational relations

Best Regards,

Thilini

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Many Thanks for your help !

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

You are most welcome :)