Solved

Saving records with custom lookup lists

• 21 June 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

We have used the UI designer to override a Global_Code lookup list for field PROJECT.APPROVAL_STATUS.  However, it will not let us save those values that do not also exist in the default Global_Code list.  Am i missing something? I have tried setting it up in the Custom Metadata, but to no avail.

icon

Best answer by Saranga Amaraweera 22 June 2021, 15:41

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi @MartinF ,

How did you try to configure the approval status metrix code table values here? Your intension is to make this filed as a look up and save the values or have you added new data into this particular table and unable to save those new records? Could you kindly elaborate a bit more?

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi, We setup a  custom screen design and pointed the existing combobox to our custom global_code table using the fieldvalues in the UI Designer screen.  Then, in Cuastom Meta data for the Project screen i tried defined a column def record for thast field and added a lookup for the new Global_Code list

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi @MartinF ,

If I understood correctly, you want to override the project.approval_status column values with a custom global code table? If that’s the case, assume that you have created the global code list first. See the example below.

New global code list

Then what you need to do is to go to custom metadata and define this global code table list under the approval_status column. Create custom metadata table for PROJECT and add the filed properties similar to the properties in FSM metadata. 

defining project.approval_status in custom metadata

Then you need to define the relationship for the lookup under lookup section with global_code_table.your_global_code. Check the sample below. The code values which we have added in the global code list are going to get saved as the approval_status here.

adding the lookup under custom metadata

Once this is done, save and refresh the cache. Go to the UI Designer and select your custom screen.

adding the combobox

Remove the existing approval_status field and then add the lookup /combobox for project.approval_status. Save and refresh cache. Open the assigned custom screen and check this out with the approval status field(ideally the code descriptions should be populated). You will be able to see the overridden result as you save a new project .

overridden result

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi, thanks for the detailed reply. I have it setup exactly as you suggest, the only difference is that, in the screen design, the definition for the custom Global_Code table is not in the ‘Server Defaults’ section, but the upper section. The ‘Server defaults’ is not editable. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi, thanks for the detailed reply. I have it setup exactly as you suggest, the only difference is that, in the screen design, the definition for the custom Global_Code table is not in the ‘Server Defaults’ section, but the upper section. The ‘Server defaults’ is not editable. 

Hi Martin,

As explained, server defaults section is not editable and you cannot do modifications there, I have just highlighted those fields for you to get an idea on the result. These values are generated automatically ( as soon as the configured field is re-added ) after you save the screen