Question

Mobile iOS: has anyone seen mobile messages stuck on the device in FSM 6 u6 (Ready and waiting, no error messages)

• 16 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

I am troubleshooting mobile messages stuck on FSM 6 iOS mobile. I have seen that error before where messages get stuck in Waiting or Ready in the device and the only solution is to reinitialize, which loses all the data that was stuck. Please note that this is not caused by messages in Error.

In the past I have seen it happening two times. One was a mobile customization problem and the other one was a product bug. The latter was caused by buggy sync code that set some messages in a group in Waiting, but they were not really waiting for anything. Consequently they never got an answer and got stuck in Waiting.

Have you seen any of that recently? The message getting stuck is always an attachment and it is stuck in Ready. I looked into the mobile and server logs and there are not exception matching that time stamp. The only thing strange about those messages is that they attachment_log.attachment file is NULL, which makes me think it is either a bug or they tried to attach a blank file. I am still investigating that.

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Hi @GUNACA,

May be worth checking this article that came from a recent escalation:

Kind regards,

Lee Pinchbeck

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks Lee, that is a good document. Some further troubleshooting indicated this is a bug on FSM 6 u6 (possible all updates too) when one uploads a file that has spaces and other special characters such as [ and  ] in its name. Those characters get encoded as %20, %5D, %5E in the file name in the mobile database and that is likely the cause.

Even though the app is modified, I don't believe we modified this behaviour so it is likely a product bug. I will test it on R&D environment to be sure. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

The developer fixed this by decoding the file name and path fields in the attachment record itself, not early in the logic since the encoded name is needed for proper preview. This solution resolved new attachments, but the ones stuck can only be solved by initialising the device.

Apparently this is fixed in FSM 6 u9, but I haven't tested myself.