Methods for mass mobile app initialization

• 2 August 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

As we have been making a lot of configuration changes and software updates that affect the mobile app, after each change we need users to initialize the mobile app. We have struggled with how to manage that process. For example, we have tried emailing all users and informing them to initialize their mobile app, but then many do not do it. We largely use WebClient and we have 100s of users that need to initialize.

We’ve recently worked with IFS to setup this screen that allows us to sort by init date (or other fields), select 100s of users at once and then initialize the mobile app. This doesn’t immediately initialize the mobile app but rather the next time they use the mobile app, it will initialize.

Because it could cause a flood of messaging towards the servers and may interrupt any transactions they are in the middle of, we are just using it during weekends or late hours when few users are using their mobile app. Then, the next business day, at various times when they first open the app across different time zones, the app will initialize. This method effectively spreads the initializations out over multiple hours.

Any experiences you are willing to share on how you get the mobile app initialized across all the devices shortly after updates?

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi @JonWoster,

Could you please share you experience with me if you have been able to resolve this concern.

Thanks and regards,

Nethmi 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

We have slowed down the amount of changes, so we don’t need to initialize mobile apps as often as we used to. However, when we do things like FSM updates, we still need to initialize the mobile app. When we do that, we inform users that they need to initialize. We then do a report to see which users have not initialized and we then initiate it from the server, as shown above.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

@JonWoster Thank you very much. Could you please tell me what’s the navigator path for this window.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

It is not part of the product. It was configured for us specifically through IFS consulting services. I would like this to be part of the product, but unfortunately it is not.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

@JonWoster Thank you very much for the information.