Question

Project forecast snapshot matching ETC/EAC

• 14 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +5
  • Sidekick (Partner)
  • 14 replies

What is the use of this setting when creating a new project forecast

I understand the EAC- ETC Calculation , but whether I change Snapshot matching setting to EAC or ETC recalculated  does not make any difference, what seems to  be driving the calculation is the set ETC option setting. 

I have same result if the snapshot matching setting is changed to ETC or EAC.

Please see example below 

SIM 1 forecast was created with the following settings 

The result is 

SIM 4  forecast was created with the following settings 

the result is the same

therefore I am not sure of the use of this setting. Thanks in advance

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi Charlotte @CM6 ,

The purpose of the Snapshot Matching setting on the forecast is to define how values in the snapshot affect the values on existing lines in the forecast. Note that the setting that you select in the assistant is saved on the forecast, but can be changed if required.

It’s probably easiest to explain the impact of the different settings with an example, so I have set up a new project forecast with a single line with ETC and EAC both set to 100,000. I have not yet connected any snapshot so there is no used cost, and therefore still 100,000 to be used:

As a first example, my Snapshot Matching on the forecast is set to EAC Recalculated:

I have posted 40,000 as cost to the activity, which means that when I create and connect a snapshot, the EAC will be adjusted accordingly:

As a second example, I disconnect the snapshot and instead set the Snapshot Matching to ETC Recalculated:

If I now create and connect a new snapshot, the used cost of 40,000 will instead adjust the ETC:

In other words, you could say that the setting defines whether the ETC in your forecast has already considered the used/actual cost that will be included in the snapshot.

Hope this helps?

Kind regards,

Johan

Badge +5

Thanks Johan, 

from you answer could I conclude that this setting “Snapshot matching”  is to change the snapshot after the forecast is created, because when I create the forecast , what is driving the calculation of the ETC /EAC seems to be the following setting”set ETC option”  even if I change the settings of the snapshot matching - The calculation seems driven by the setting below. 

Thanks,