Question

Work Center - 48 Hr Resource

• 8 September 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi, 

One of our manufacturing work centers (currently setup with a single resource and labor class, on a 24/6 calendar, equating to 24 hours of available capacity per day) needs to be amended.

We’re looking for this loading cell to enable 48 hours of work to be done per day. A new calendar can’t be created (48/6). Our only option, it appears, is to include an additional resource.

But in doing so, APB (our main scheduling platform) makes the orders released to this work center start in parallel to each other. Where, in reality they should be one after.

Is there another way around this, without recourse to halving the MFG factor of the parts routed to this work center?

Any suggestions?

many thanks,

Jay

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Interesting! If you manage to perform 48h of work in 24h without working on things in parallel you need to write a book and should win the Nobel price! I think lots of us would like to know the secret ;)

If the work center all of a sudden can do the jobs twice as fast you can set the resource efficiency to 200%. then the work center capacity will be 48h/day with a 24h calendar and a 48h operation will be scheduled in 24h 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

That solution doesn’t work. Adjusting the work center’s efficiency (to 200%) creates a resource overload!

I presume the desired outcome is to divide the run rate by a factor of 2 for any/all parts routed to said work center. I tried that before posting here - to no luck

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Increasing the efficiency will for sure increase the capacity of the work center. When you have one resource with efficiency set to 200 for a work center with 24h calendar, its capacity will be 48h per day. Any operation scheduled on this resource will then be scheduled to take half the time defined in the routing. So, if an operation has a machine time of 8h in the routing it will be scheduled between say 07:00 AM to 11:00 AM instead of 7:00 AM to 15:00 PM.