Question

Automate connection document/object

• 28 April 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Any of you have any experience in storing a report from the Report Archive to Document Management (Apps8) ?

We are searching a solution that automatic connects a printed reports in IFS report Archive to any business object. For instance, if you print a purchase order (PO) we would like it to be connected to the PO as a document in IFS Doc Mng or a printed customer invoice to be connected to a invoice.

Thanks for your help

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I only have heard of a customization to make this possible. Hope to see that there is an easier way.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I know that in APPS10 it is possible to connect them using Report Rules. Via the action type “Check in to Document Management”, hereunder you can find a brief description out of the help text.

Don't know whether this was made available in APPS8 as well.

---

Action Types

As mentioned before the Report Rule Engine is invoked by the Print Dialog. Print Dialog shows the default properties and forced properties for a print job. There are several levels of setting up these defaults using actions.

1. Preselect Property
    If you decide to set an action with type Preselect Property, properties of that action will be set in print properties in the Print Dialog by default.
  2. Check In To Document Management
    This rule will attach a generated report automatically in to document management.

Document Archive

DocumentClass / DocumentNo : You can attach the generated report in to either a predefined document class or a predefined document number that is defined in document management.

DocumentTitle : The title in which the report is archived in to document management.

DocumentFileName : The file name in which the report is archived in to document management.

ConnectedLU / KeyRef : You can specify if the generated report should be attached to an application form as an attachment. In this case you have to specify the LU and key-value pair to uniquely identify an instance in the LU. For example, if you want to attach the 'Invoice' report, in to the 'Customer Invoice' form, you need to specify the LU as 'CustomerOrder" from the ConnectLU combobox and Invoice_no as the key and a value for that key. You can hardcode a value or retrieve the value from a xpath.

SendStream : If set to 'YES', you will get a stream notification once the report is archived in to document management. You can preview or navigate to the document by selecting the link in the stream.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

What @MR10 mention above is only available in Apps 10. It might be possible, with some clever use of custom events or event connected to reporting, to get this to work even in Apps 8, but that is left as an exercise for the reader…

There is a German VAP (value added package) called VAP-DMS which has more functionality now but in good old days the simple version of it, is exactly developed for your requirement and it should available since Apps7.5.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

We have tried to create a custom event but Oracle does not seems to allow BLOB fields.

Am I mistaken ? Any solution to solve that ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

We have tried to create a custom event but Oracle does not seems to allow BLOB fields.

Am I mistaken ? Any solution to solve that ?

Since custom events are built on top of Oracle triggers and those does not work for LOB columns, then you probably cannot use a custom event, unless you can find another triggering point, so to speak. Perhaps some other column in the same or a related table changes and you can trigger on that. Also have a look at the standard events used by reporting. I think there is one that fires when the report PDF is created.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

OK, we are redoubling our efforts toward this end hoping a positive outcome…

Thanks Mathias for your support !

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

OK, we are redoubling our efforts toward this end hoping a positive outcome…

Thanks Mathias for your support !

It would be very useful to know how you end up solving the problem, so if you could update this post with at least an overview of your final solution, that would be very much appreciated by at least me.

$Øyvind