Question

APB: "Earliest Due Date" - Meaning

• 17 June 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi guys,

At our site, APB is used to CBS schedule works orders prior to their release. The priority rule “Earliest Possible Due Date” is our standard execution (there’s no reason for us to use anything else).

Can I get a definition of this rule, hopefully, to supplement what I know. I take it to do the following:

For the orders (or operations) selected, schedule those to Start/Finish as soon as capacity permits (i.e. ASAP or Least Slack). Plus, if a trade-off is required (i.e. when two or more orders are competing for a resource) prioritize the job(s) with an earlier Need Date.

That appears to be how dates are given against available capacity and the sequencing principle. Is this correct? Did I miss a crucial element?

I’m especially curious to know how the field “Earliest Start Date” for a given order figures. Does this present a hard constraint on APB, such that regardless of if there’s usable capacity, an order cannot be scheduled any earlier that it’s Earliest Start Date? 

Much appreciate any thoughts,

Jay

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi.

I think you have understand the basics correctly, i.e when scheduling serveral orders using the dispatch rule EDD, it sorts the operations per its unique EDD, which you can find inside APB, displaying the operation. The operation with earliest EDD will be scheduled first, either back to back against need date, or asap, depending on scheduling direction.

Other constraints, like EPST, material avilability, resource availability etc will also be considered, i.e. EPST is a hard constraint!