Question

Unable to receive more than 3000 serials-valuation method WA

• 30 September 2019
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8
When the valuation method is Weighted Average (WA) , it takes longer time to receive 3000 serials through purchase order arrival registration ( issue occurs in In APP10 too) .
System gives time out error.
Do we have any suggestions to improve the efficiency?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14
The reason for this problem is, when receiving serials, we execute the full receipt process (through PURCH, INVENT, MPCCOM and PARTCA) from A to Z for each serial, including the creation of one inventory transaction and its related postings for each serial. In that case, for each transaction history record there will be at least one record in InventoryTransactionCost and at least two records in MpccomAccounting. Apart from that, if “Weighted Average (WA)” is chosen as the valuation method, then there will also be one WA recalculation done for each serial. This WA recalculation involves finding out about the total company owned stock for the involved part number on the site. Therefore, as a result, it takes longer time to receive 3000 serials through purchase order arrival registration.
However, a solution to solve the issue would be to create just one InventoryTransactionHist record for each transaction code involved (instead of creating for each serial), and the minimum possible number of records in InventoryTransactionCost and MpccomAccounting.

As a suggestion I would recommend to set the inventory part cost level to either "Cost per serial" or "Cost per lot/batch"
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
This type of issue has been reported as one of the APP10 North America customers. The issue was recreated in the customer's test environment. Were you able to recreate this in any of the PD's reference environment?

I think it's better to report this to PD and get their view on this.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Have you considered using 'Receive' Option instead of 'Receive with Serials/Lots' when receiving your Purchase Order? This way you can Receive your Stock in to a 'Arrival' type Location and later Split the Stock in to Serials.

I've tried this myself with a 'Weighted Average Tracked' Serial Part (in APPS10 Regional TEST CMB. USER KANDLK, Part DW TP 200), it only took couple of Seconds to Complete the Receipt process, and about 1 Minutes to Split my 3000 PCS in to Serials.

Let me know if you need further help with this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I was able to recreate the issue in PD's reference environment. Therefore I have reported this issue to PD. Reference LCS case is G2084561.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
I checked with PD and according to them a solution to solve the issue
would be to create just one InventoryTransactionHist record for each
transaction code involved (instead of creating for each serial), and the
minimum possible number of records in InventoryTransactionCost and
MpccomAccounting. But, according to product architect it is not an easy task to
solve this in the standard product, because it requires a large-scale
restructuring of the whole process. Therefore it would have to redesign the
InventoryTransactionHist LU and add a new sub-LU to make it possible to create
an inventory transaction for a collection of serials instead of just one
serial. Then it would have to pass the collection of serials through the whole
process, something that will be quite challenging. Therefore, it is definitely
a development from the size and complexity perspective and would be suitable to
consider it in a core development project for a new release.
Therefore
their suggestion also to set the inventory part cost level to either "Cost
per serial" or "Cost per lot/batch"
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Thank you Kanishka for the suggestion.
Ill check it my self and get back to you if i need a help from you .