Question

Two-Stage Picking Functionality

• 2 December 2020
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

In reading the help on two-stage picking, if the checkbox on the site is not checked, IFS should allow single stage picking, which it is not.  Our users are still getting a pop up when it’s not checked for our Shipment Types. However, when using one of our shipment types (210) it doesn’t popup at time of picking and I think it’s due to the Source Ref 1, which our other shipment types don’t have.

There isn’t much documentation on this field, but I am trying to figure out if other application settings are hindering the ability of this field. Has anyone had experience with this field?  If so, can you provide details on why we still get a “two-stage” picking pop up when it’s not checked. 

Application Base Setup > Enterprise > Site > Site (Sales & Procurement Tab)

12 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

In the other shipment types, do you have ‘confirm shipment location’ checkbox ticked? That could be the reason.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

That field is unchecked in all our shipment types. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

can you share a screenshot of the popup that you are referring to?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

This is the box I am referring to when you Report Picking from a shipment

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

I believe you have created the COs before two stage picking was removed from the site level. You can double check this in the CO 'delivery information' tab. In there the two stage picking check box will be enabled.

Unfortunately, removing the two stage picking in the site level has no impact on the already created orders. Hence you receiving this popup. But when you create a new CO, this two stage picking will be disabled.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I have tested with a new Customer Order and we still get the pop up when trying to report picking. Even with the Two-Stage Picking unchecked and the ‘confirm shipment location’ unchecked. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Please check Shipment / General / Shipment Location No. It most likely has no value in your case. A default value can be defined on the Site (but in your screenshot above you can see it is not defined there) or in the Supply Chain Matrix, which has the highest priority. If a default is defined nowhere, then the field Shipment / General / Shipment Location No will remain empty and the dialog to Move Parts into Shipment Inventory will always be presented, regardless of your setting of Confirm Shipment Location on the Shipment Type.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thank you for the information. I tried this as well and still getting the pop-up. It seems odd as without checking the two-stage picking it should operate as a single stage picking.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

I have tested with a new Customer Order and we still get the pop up when trying to report picking. Even with the Two-Stage Picking unchecked and the ‘confirm shipment location’ unchecked. 

In the newly created orders, is the ‘two-stage picking’ checkbox enabled in the CO 'delivery information' tab (at the time of order creation)?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Please don't confuse two-stage picking with regular Shipment behavior. The popup you are seeing is not related to two-stage picking. A Shipment always needs a Shipment Location. Did you check the data field Shipment / General / Shipment Location No and did it have any value? If not, just enter your value SHIPMENT manually, save and then do the picking. You will notice that the popup will not be displayed.

From the help documentation:

It is required to use the shipment inventory location functionality when using the shipment process. You can define a default shipment location per site or per supply chain relation i.e. per delivering site, receiver address and ship-via code. A default shipment location defined per supply chain relation has the highest priority. That default shipment location is retrieved when creating a new shipment either manually or automatically.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi,

Did you try turning off shipment inventory checkbox from sales basic data » shipment type» shipment control >>uncheck shipment inventory box

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@nategerst, Whether the checkbox for Confirm Shipment Location in the Shipment Type is checked or unchecked, Picked goods on a shipment will always be placed in a shipment inventory location before delivery.

Having it checked means the user will be prompted to select a proper shipment location at the time of picking.

If the user doesn’t care about shipment inventory, they can keep it unchecked, avoiding the popup ‘Move Parts into Shipment Inventory’. Let’s say I unchecked this,

When I go ahead with picking, in the background the parts will be anyway moved to the default Shipment location (from the site or supply chain matrix) at the time of picking. You can notice this has happened if you look into the Inventory Transaction History once you pick. I went ahead with the above shipment and note the ‘Shipment Inventory Transfer’ has happened

Two-stage picking on the other hand, is intended for COs. Connecting a CO to a shipment will override the use of two-stage picking. So keeping CO on mind, Two-stage picking means that first the goods are picked from an inventory location and moved to a packing station (i.e. Shipment Location) where they are picked again (i.e packed) before being delivered. The pre-ship delivery note is used for packing and also as a delivery document. It is printed while the goods are in the Shipment location. In contrast, during single stage shipping the delivery note is printed after the CO is delivered.

Hope this helps.