Question

Subcontracting purchase order

• 10 February 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

My company is on Apps 9 and I have an issue with a subcontracting purchase order. The purchase order was created from a purchase requisition whose demand came from an outside operation on a shop order. The purchase requisition generated one line for the total quantity on the shop order. When our purchasing department converted it to a purchase order they added additional lines, reduced the quantity on the original line and all lines now total the original first line. By doing this, the original demand code was changed from Demand Code “Shop Order" to Demand Code "Non Inventory” on the added lines. Now when we Register Purchase Order Arrivals for the added lines, they are not connected to the shop order and we are unable to complete the operation on the shop order. What can we do to enable us to receive in the purchase order and have it connected to the shop order.

Example: Purchase Requisition generated from Shop order for 500 EA. Purchase order created for 5 lines of 100 EA. Received 1st 100 EA (no issues as there is a connection). 2nd receipt of 100 EA, shows received, but not connected to Shop Order. Shop Order only shows 100 EA received.

Thanks,

Dawn

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Is there a reason why they’d split up the original qty? Is it for the purpose of having smaller shipment or batch quantities? Perhaps, you could initiate the splitting at the SO level itself, if the split criteria is known (ex. max lot size of 100, etc.). Try with SO Operation split, where, in your instance, you’d split the original operation of 500 qty to 5 operations each carrying 100. With the smart use of custom events, this can also be automated.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Though you received the original Purchase order line, you can still change the Purchase Order line quantity back to original lot size such as 500 EA from 100 EA.

Then you can Navigate to Register Purchase Order Arrival window and receive the amount of 400 EA to Arrivals.

It will Complete the Qty in Subcontract operation and it will be automatically closed.

Finally, you can go to Purchase Order window and cancel four newly created lines.

If you have already received a Non-Inventory Demand type having Purchase order line, you can cancel the relevant receipt before cancelling the PO Line.

Please find below screenshots to proceed.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Though you received the original Purchase order line, you can still change the Purchase Order line quantity back to original lot size such as 500 EA from 100 EA.

Then you can Navigate to Register Purchase Order Arrival window and receive the amount of 400 EA to Arrivals.

It will Complete the Qty in Subcontract operation and it will be automatically closed.

Finally, you can go to Purchase Order window and cancel four newly created lines.

If you have already received a Non-Inventory Demand type having Purchase order line, you can cancel the relevant receipt before cancelling the PO Line.

Don’t think creating and cancelling PO lines would be an advisable approach to this process. It becomes non-standardized, increases the cost of non-value adding operations, and error-prone especially with someone who is new to the role.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Don’t think creating and cancelling PO lines would be an advisable approach to this process. It becomes non-standardized, increases the cost of non-value adding operations, and error-prone especially with someone who is new to the role.

I don’t think it will cause any problem or additional/erroneous cost with this process.

Because, it is not creating erroneous transactions.

However, I agree with you that, it’ll be complex for someone who is new to the process. 

But I believe this will be handled by someone who is familiar with IFS.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Is there a reason why they’d split up the original qty? Is it for the purpose of having smaller shipment or batch quantities? Perhaps, you could initiate the splitting at the SO level itself, if the split criteria is known (ex. max lot size of 100, etc.). Try with SO Operation split, where, in your instance, you’d split the original operation of 500 qty to 5 operations each carrying 100. With the smart use of custom events, this can also be automated.

If this is to be a recurring process, I would suggest the same as asanka -- Use the Shop Order Operation Split functionality.  Splitting or Adjusting can be done even when the PO is already in Released status and this is the only way I am aware of to maintain the connection between a PO line and an Outside Operation.

I am also wondering… if there are 5 distinct receipts of 100 ea, is the shop floor continuing to work on the next operation when the first 100 are received?  If they are waiting for all 500 to arrive, I understand having the one 1 shop order.  But if they are moving on to the next operation when each 100 arrive, then it might be worth considering a max lot size on the parent part so you get 5 shop orders of lot size 100.  Alternatively, you could consider splitting the whole shop order at the operation immediately before your outside operation.

Badge +2

Thank you all for your replies. All of the responses are processes that I have walked through and I just wanted to make sure that there wasn’t anything I was missing. We have decided that our Purchasing department will not split the lines. Our procedures do not allow us to split operations so unfortunately that was not an option. Operations does continue to work on what has been received in and we have to keep it to one shop order as the parts are Lot Date Code specific and cannot be on separate shop orders.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

@Dawn.Wallace If so, did you try the adjusting Purchase Order line quantity as i explained in my reply?