Solved

Streamline Part entry process

• 15 May 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hello, 

We are currently in the process of implementing IFS Apps 10. The system is setup as multi-site. We are a manufacturing company, and often times we have a part that will be manufactured across multiple plants. We may perform a stamping operation in one site, ship that part to another site for consumption in a Product Structure to create a finished part, which would then be shipped to a customer. 

We are finding that part setup can be quite tedious and time consuming. There is a lot of manual entry to setup an Inventory Part, Sales Part, Routing, Product Structure, Purchased Parts, etc. There are a few shortcuts I’ve used such as Standard Operation, Routing Templates, Copy Part, and creating a Sales Part first to have the Inventory Part automatically created. 

The vendor we are working with has suggested using a custom spreadsheet to create the parts and import them into the system from the spreadsheet. My feeling is that IFS has enough functionality built into it to streamline the process of creating new parts, but I’m unsure of the most efficient ways to accomplish this. Any insight into a process for quickly creating parts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

icon

Best answer by eqbstal 15 May 2020, 14:31

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

cjohnson,

I see a number of alternatives:

1. Prepare a spreadsheet, save as csv and load part information into migration job(s) that will prepare the parts
  2. Use Excel Migration add in to prepare spreadsheet and from within Excel start the migration job to create part information.
  3. Use the Replication functionality to duplicate part information to other sites
  4. Build, or have it made, a custom logical unit where one can enter the part information. A scheduled task or an event can process the entered information and using custom build coding the parts are prepared.
  5. Hire someone to do the job :wink:

What I’ve experienced is that option 2 works best.

Steve

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Thank you. I will look into using Excel Migration add in as a solution.

Badge +3

You are correct. The process for Adding parts into IFS is pretty tedious,

I am on IFS8 so the Excel Migration may work better on IFS10. The IFS8 version does not populate all required fields and thus I could not use it. It had some other drawbacks such as not creating the Inventory part in all Sites, which makes moving Parts between sites a real pain (I created an Automated process to Move Parts between Sites as well).

Instead, I wrote my own process to Automatically Receive Parts. It does as follows:

1. Creates the Part Catalog Part if it does not already exist using PART_CATALOG_API.Create_Part.
  2. Creates the Inventory Part for all Sites if they do not already exist using inventory_part_api.New_Part.
  3. Receives the Inventory Part in Stock using inventory_part_in_stock_api.receive_part

The users populate Excel Templates and saves the data as CSV,  which is then loaded into an Oracle Staging table for processing.