Question

Shortage Management and Visibility

• 24 January 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Using IFS Ver 10 Update 14 - I need some tips on how to get better at managing and seeing shortages.

Quantity Short populates only when a part is reserved with the insufficient quantity available to support the reservation populating the shortage field.  This shortage quantity will remain there until the part is re-reserved at a later date with the appropriate Quantity Available - shouldn’t shortages automatic as parts arrive, or become pegged? 

I find many instances where will add parts to a BOM, but do not proactively reserve it because we’ll see 0 available, and expect MRP to take over to work the demand/ populate the shortage.  We may consider it a shortage, though IFS doesn’t - and if MRP drives the demand, it won’t carry back any dates to get that visibility in the task materials via PR/ PO fields - shouldn’t this be a core behaviour to establish relationships between task and MRP demand - if not is there a best way to connect MRP driven PR/PO information back to a task so end users know when they can expect parts for a specific task or even hundreds of tasks without coding in a lot of guess work between a quantity of parts demanded via MRP to an array of tasks with those parts on the BOM?

“Quantity Short
The shortage quantity, displayed in the inventory unit of measure. A shortage quantity will arise when you reserve parts, not using manual reservation, for an order and there is not enough available quantity. It is the difference between the quantity of demanded parts and the reserved parts. A prerequisite is that the shortage notification functionality is activated in the system and on the specific inventory part.”

Thanks for anyone’s input here!  I’m fairly new to IFS, but have used ERP systems in the past that behave quite differently from this application.

IFS 10 Update 14

-Chris

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

I basically have the same question. We have parts available in inventory but for various reasons the reserve was not done. It seems like there should be an easy way to identify shortages that have available inventory. Any chance you have found a solution since posting this question?

Badge +1

Yes @pshields - since IFS’ definition of Shortage doesn’t match the industry’s, I got a formula in a data source that counts the amount of what we would call a shortage, then navigates to the MMRL screen.  Ideally there would be a calculation that runs overnight, but this solution was quick to implement in a lobby element’s data source

GREATEST(QTY_AVAIL, QTY, QTY_ASSIGNED) < PLAN_QTY

It’s not perfect but it gives us much better advanced insight in to if a part will be available when we reserve it, peg it or transport it.  You will need to alter the formula based on your own instance and play around with including reserved / pegged fields to give you the insight you need.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Thanks for replying to an old question with your resolution. Sorry but what is the MMRL screen?

Badge +1

In our instance - Maintenance Material Requisition Lines, so whatever screen/ LU holds your parts data :)