Question

Scrap factor Inventory part / planning data

• 26 July 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hello,

I want to start using a scrap factor for some purchase components. I’ve been testing  the two options.

1)Inventory part, planning data , scrap factor field. This looks like it only applies the scrap factor to purchase requirements and PO’s qty. No demand is created, nor does it change the qty available in stock.  

2)Change the product structure to include the scrap factor. Adding the scrap factor to the BOM looks like it will create additional demand, reduce the available inventory qty and require purchase action to satisfy the assembly + scrap factor.

I don’t see any advantage to using #1 since it will not recalculate the current inventory available qty or shop order demands. I see the only change that will take place is on the purchase order level if a purchase order does exist.

Is anyone using the scrap factor in the Inventory part screen with good results?  

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi,

I’ve seen Option #1 being used to cover scenarios where there may be some loss or damage to the purchased products during transit.  The idea is that the PO quantity will be for more than you actually need (due to the scrap factor) but you should then have enough good products to cover the demand requirement.

I hope that this helps.