Question

Scheduling Constant Demand

• 29 June 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi 

We are using Apps 10 and MRP to schedule our shop order operations. 

We have a contract that has a constant demand every month of 16 units, the product has a 15.5 day variable lead time to manufacture and we backward schedule.

When MRP schedules our operations backwards from the customer order line want date (end of each month), is plans to start manufacturing in the second week of each month.

is there a way we can get system to plan to build 4 unit per week every week to steady the flow of supply ?

regards

Jamie 

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Badge +1

You could use an MS Level 1 Part for this part and set the Rate Per Period to be 4 per week, this should then push the supply back into previous periods at a rate of 4 per week until the demand can be met

This would then spread the supply as below

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

Set the inventory part for the sales part to an order gap time of 1 week (depends on your site mfg calendar) with a Min/Max/Multiple lot size all set to 4.

With that configuration and a customer order with (16) due on the last day of the month, running MRP I get these requisition due dates for the sales part all one week apart for lot sizes of (4) each.

With a variable lead time of 15.5 days, though, each shop order for (4) will take 62 days to complete, correct?

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

Similar to another thread, I had a reply here, edited it, and it disappeared.

For this inventory/sales part, I have set an order gap time of 5 days which is one week in my site Mfg Calendar.

I also have the Min/Max/Multiple Lot Sizes all set to 4 for this part.

With customer orders due for (16) at the end of each month through December:

When I run MRP, my shop order requisitions are each for a lot size of (4), and each requisition is due in inventory one week apart from the others.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi,

Personally I like the MS Rate concept better than Order Gap Time here. BUT as @Craig Parkinson says - the part has to be master scheduled, and perhaps this is not possible for you.

Another feature with MS Rate is that it is possible to set the rate to 0 during a time interval, meaning putting the production to 0 temporary for some reason.

MRP is really only supporting a chase strategy. You can play with order gap time and perhaps Time Phased Safety Sock.

In MS you have some tools to level the production. 1) Rate by period. 2) Manually create/adjust fixed Master Production Schedule receipts.

Good Luck

-Mats

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi Matt/ Craig 

the company i work for are very wary of using MS to schedule due to a fear of creating double demand as this has happened in the past.

• how could this of happened ?
  • is there a way this can be prevented?

regards

Jamie  

Badge +1

Hi Jamie,

I spent some time on site Consulting on your upgrade to Apps 10 so I know there were some challenges around planning, that said MS should not create double demand

Without knowing all the detail then the only situations I can think of that would give the impression of extra demand is if you were using forecast and not dropping/consuming it at the appropriate time or the time fence setup, this is just a case of setting the parts up correctly for the business requirements

The help is pretty good in this area so you should be able to test this quite easily and it will only effect the parts you create as MS Level 1 parts

Craig