Solved

schedule direction - backwards or forwards

• 25 May 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

morning 

can any help shed some light or even a guiding principles in what direction to set (backwards or forwards) when scheduling shop orders ?

I understand how each schedule direction effects the start and end date  but am unsure of when to use either direction.

currently we use backwards scheduling for all shop order but we have an arrear of shop order going 4 months into the past.

To me logic says forwards scheduling because you can not start a shop order in the past so why plan it in the past, but i could be wrong.

Appreciate any help/ advice or opinion on this topic

regards

Jamie

icon

Best answer by Björn Hultgren 25 May 2021, 10:30

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

typically you want to schedule a shop order to meet a demand, then Backward scheduling make sense. But in some situations you want the order to me started as soon as possible form a specific date. Maybe the date when a critical component can be made available, or today if the order is late and paste due.

For the above mentioned scenarios there’s also some cool functionality available that automatically forward schedules the order:

• Update ESD According to Material Availability. Calculates the first possible date when all components can be made available and forward schedules the order from this date
  • Reschedule All Past Due Shop orders. forward schedules all past due orders from current date. can be schedule to run everyday automatically.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Bjorn 

thanks that's a brilliant explanation. Reschedule all past due shop orders using forward schedule makes logical sense to me, that way you will also be able to create a more accurate weekly work to list (manufacturing list) for the shop floor operators to follow.

regards

Jamie