Question

Quantity per on product structure

• 21 July 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

Hello,

Does anybody know if there is a way to add a component to a product structure with a quantity per batch rather than a quantity per assembly?

As far as I know we can only put parts on a structure with a qty per assembly, so this will always be multiplied up by the lot size on any shop orders. We have a scenario where we need to use just 1 piece of a certain component per shop order loaded, regardless of lot size.

All I have been able to come up with so far is adding the part on to the product structure with a very small fractional qty per (0.00000001). Since our inventory part UoM in this instance is ‘PCS’, when a shop order is loaded, the allocation is rounded up to 1 - provided the lot size isn’t big enough to make it any more!

I just wondered if I was missing anything that would handle this in a better way, and not rely on UoM or lot size to allow it to work? 

Many thanks,

Steph.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I think there is not such functionality in the Product Structure, but there is one, “Fixed Qty Flag” in Recipe Structure. However, if you are referring to a discrete manufacturing process, the structure should be a product structure. If the process is a batch manufacturing process that can be handled through a recipe structure, the above Fixed Qty Flag can be used to make the component qty fixed for the defined batch size. However, again if the shop order lot size changes from the batch size defined in the recipe structure, it calculates the component qty for the shop order lot size.

However, would like to get ideas from a IFS expert employee, so tagging @Björn Hultgren and @Tharindu Illangasinghe 

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi StephS,

As ThushAsanka wrote, there is no such functionality as Fixed Qty in discrete manufacturing.

I think the way you described is the most suitable option. You could also use ‘Component Scrap’ with =1 value but then on SO you will have Qty Required = 1,0000000001 or rounded to zero decimals = 2.

BR, Lukasz

Badge +3

Many thanks for the replies.

We do not have any batch manufactured products and have never used recipe structures, so unfortunately I don’t think that ‘fixed qty’ flag will help us.

As you’ve both confirmed that there is no fixed qty option in the product structure I will stick with the 0.00000001 qty per option!

Thank you,

Steph.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I can confirm there's no possibility to enter a fixed quantity in the Product Structure. Fixed scrap quantity can be entered though. I think it would be great if someone created a request for this to IFS R&D! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Is there a way to have a fixed quantity on a product structure?  An example: we would have a sample bottle that we use no matter how big the batch size is (it will vary), we only use 1 and it will never vary.  I see that you can Fixed Qty Flag, does it work based on batch size or is it what I may be looking for?

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I submitted this as an enhancement idea here, please upvote or advise if this is available in versions newer than 10.