Question

Pack multiple parts into 1 handling unit

• 19 May 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi,

assume i picked 5 different parts, for a total of 100 pieces (lets say 20 pieces of each inventory part). All with defined measurement. How can I pack these into a handling units during shipment, with IFS telling me how much Handling units I need?

If i now do it, using the packing instruction in shipment or using the ‘pack according to handling unit capacity’, I get 5 handling units with each inventory part in one HU (so 20 pcs/HU). However, i would like that IFS fills the the first HU completely, with a mixture of parts, and than goes the second etc.

Is that possible?

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @First Employee ,

We utilize handling units to ship our products and we pack mixed products onto handling units.  We took a manual approach to handling units.  A picker will create a handling unit from the barcode scanner then as they pick products they assign them to a handling unit.  We do not presently have handling units configured with max weights or dimensions.  At some point we will be configuring max weights on handling units so IFS will prevent a picker from overloading a handling unit but we are not there yet.

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Thanks you @william.klotz ! Indeed, using scanners like you say you can do it 1 by 1, and a certain point IFS will message you if you’re above max capacity. That’s a good process. We’re thinking of displaying the total volume to be picked, so the operator can make a judgement of which HU’s to assign to the shipment.

But without the scanners we reserve and pick everything, so every part is in the shipment inventory. Adding them one by one to a HU seems like a boring and time consuming job, I hope IFS can help a bit.