Question

Multiple Operations Inventory Issue

• 9 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

When using multiple operations, the part is not dropping into inventory after op 10. It only drops into inventory after the final op.   This is an issue as we create the first portion or part in op 10, move it to the next work center where it may sit for a few days, then run it through op 20. Close shop order and the final part is in inventory. 

Is this an IFS issue whereas there is not a way to run multiple operations while tracking inventory? 

Or

-am i using the functionality wrong? If so, what does standard manufacturing operations use to track multiple ops throughout their plant? 

-part set up wrong preventing it from being in inventory after op 10?

-wrong ifs application? If multiple ops is not used for this, what do IFS users use to track a single part that takes many operations to complete in its final form? Think of aluminum rolling mill…. One part number but takes many weeks and many passes to transform the ingot into its final sheet or plate form.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Do you consider your partially manufactured items as ‘stock’ then, rather than ‘work in progress’?

Badge +1

Do you consider your partially manufactured items as ‘stock’ then, rather than ‘work in progress’?

Context to why that matters? Because it could be stock for the final part or it could be work in progress for the final part as far as I am concerned.  

The problem is I am unable to put the wip or stock into inventory after the first second third operation so there is no way to track inventory for part creation.  Clarity on whether or not this is a downfall to using multiple operations in IFS or if I am setting something up wrong when using this?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Context to why that matters? Because it could be stock for the final part or it could be work in progress for the final part as far as I am concerned.  

The problem is I am unable to put the wip or stock into inventory after the first second third operation so there is no way to track inventory for part creation.  Clarity on whether or not this is a downfall to using multiple operations in IFS or if I am setting something up wrong when using this?

It matters because your shop order is to manufacture the finished item and that’s what goes into stock when you close the shop order (Receive).  Until then it’s ‘Work in Progress’ - or at least it is for us.  If you took your incomplete assembly off the line would you be able to sell/use it in that state?  

Sorry, I’m not coming up with any solution.  I’ve just never come across this requirement before.  Maybe there’s functionality in other modules we don’t have.  Or perhaps you could add a custom field which you used to ‘locate’ the part-complete assembly.  

Badge +1

It matters because your shop order is to manufacture the finished item and that’s what goes into stock when you close the shop order (Receive).  Until then it’s ‘Work in Progress’ - or at least it is for us.  If you took your incomplete assembly off the line would you be able to sell/use it in that state?  

Sorry, I’m not coming up with any solution.  I’ve just never come across this requirement before.  Maybe there’s functionality in other modules we don’t have.  Or perhaps you could add a custom field which you used to ‘locate’ the part-complete assembly.  

No Need to apologize, thanks for providing some clarity here, and thanks for your responses. You rock =]. I am shocked you have never come across what is a very common practice in manufacturing.  Makes me believe... perhaps you do not understand (im not explaining well), I do not know about other ways in the system to do this and im using the wrong method, or this is just a gap in IFS compared to other shop floor systems.

Regardless sounds like you cant track inventory for multiple operations wip, and that’s what I was wondering so question has been answered.

Best example I can give is making sheet aluminum.   starts off as a 2 foot thick square of aluminum.  Runs through different work centers (mulitple ops)  over the course of 2-4 weeks to get rolled down to sheet metal gauge ( all the time still needing to be tracked in inventory or on your shop floor as it travels through the plant ). Then once its been turned into sheet metal it takes some heat treatment processing to get final properties set, and then its complete. 

One part number, one piece of metal, multiple operations over the course of weeks, inventory tracked throughout the entire process.