Question

Moved picked parts to shop floor

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi,

Wondering how to have below step managed in IFS APP10.

Material picked for shop orders needs to be fetched from warehouse location to shop floor stock location. they have to be moved by truck. Now comes the question, how to tell system to create a transport task to complete this movement? 

or other workaround we could be able to have this kind of jobs manifested in the system.

thank you.

ZR

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If material should be picked for certain shop order(s). Better reserve the material and create a shop order pick list. That would be the order for the truck to move the material. The work center information on the pick list would indicate where to drop it.

If a stock of material is held at the shop floor location. Better setup a Kanban circuit from the main warehouse to the shop floor location. That can create transport tasks either automatically when below a defined reordering point, or when manually scanning the Kanban card. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Bjorn

Thank you for your reply.

per your first point, yes, we will do the picking list and report picking in the warehouse. per your advice, the WC inbound location would be the location where these goods should be dropped. that’s no problem. the only challenge we are facing is, we like the system automate this process, which means, once the picking list is reported, a transport task should be generated by the system automatically, and it will show up in the warehouse task, hence the inventory manager would know what to follow up next.

I don’t think above mentioned is managed in the IFS now. What we could do, is to manually created the transport task to move these materials to shop floor. thanks to APP10, allow the movement of the reserved the material via transport task after picking is reported.

Per your second point, Kanban will be a good fit for unconsumed products at shop floor, but not for the raw materials. Raw materials we will do through picking list at warehouse, and move to the correct floor stock location.

Thank you for your advise. 

Ron

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

When shop order pick list is used the material is consumed from stock at the point when the picking is reported. So the idea is to use the pick list to order the transportation from warehouse to shop floor work center INSTEAD of a transport task. the picked parts will never (system wise) exist at the shop floor location, but be considered WIP.

You can use the Warehouse Task functionality that makes it easier to perform different tasks in the warehouse. Executing transport tasks is one type and shop order pick list another. Both handled from warehouse tasks.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Bjorn,

thank you for your reply. Nice to know that the picked goods are consumed once the picking are reported. the materials reported are staying in WIP. 

if that is the case, what we can do is, correct if I wrong,

1. system auto generated the picking list (consolidated i would imagine ) via schedule job.
  2. warehouse task prompted, and warehouse worker is to complete the picking. but not to report the picking in the system at this time.
  3. base on the picking list number, manually book in IFS system, the transport task against the picking list, utilize IFS move reserved parts between warehouse location to work center inbound floor stock.
  4. after the step 3 is performed, in IFS, we should be able to see all the raw materials are at work center inbound shop floor location.
  5. report picking at work center floor stock location and issue to the shop order material line.

Our IFS is technically upgraded from IFS 2004, and be on APP10 since July, 2020, there’s no function tune up at all. now the critical thing is to tune up the shop floor picking process. we have lots of complaint from customer as the system generated as built structure is not tally with the components that really installed on the product. our warehouse work never do the picking process, instead, they simply issue the material direct to the shop order and call the transportation. and shop floor also, never verify the component serials while doing installation. we need to fix it.

Thank you for your advice.

Ron

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I might not fully understand why you still needthe transport task in this scenario. but since system now in apps 10 can be configured to allow creating a transport task and moving the reserved parts it should be possible.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Bjorn,

thank you for your reply.

maybe i need to pick your brain to understand, if the materials are physically moved to the work station location, how the system should be able to manifest this. if we don’t do with transport task, in shop floor, all the materials are stall in the warehouse location instead of work center shop floor?

correct me if I was wrong.

Thank you

Ron  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Once it has been moved to the shop floor / work center area. The material will soon be physically built into the product. So why do you need to have it as floor stock in the system? for most manufacturing customers it is acceptable that when the parts are picked from warehouse to the shop order. they disappear from system perspective and are instead shop order WIP.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Bjorn,

got you. I will have it open to discuses to the team.

thank again, for your time.

Ron

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Good points from @Björn Hultgren. If the parts are to be sent in a truck from main warehouse to the shop floor, and the transportation time is long enough to consider, I would use a transport task in this instance and not a pick list. Executing a pick list would show up as WIP in the SO immediately, but the truck may not have left the warehouse, and might be a few hours or days away from even starting the physical manufacturing process. It just might create a significant disjoint between the system’s representation and the actual process. I’d use a pick list if the warehouse is pretty much in the same/close vicinity as the shop floor inbound location. 

With a transport task, you can execute the parts so it gets in to the transit location before it is acknowledged and receipted at the shop floor inbound location - this gives an extra level of granularity of tracing for the parts. Since the receipted parts are still showing up in inventory (as they should), you can, if you wish, perform quality inspections before parts are actually issued out to the SO.

Not sure if there is a stock standard method in App10, but if you are handy with a bit of SQL, a custom process can be set up where the system would create transport tasks automatically when the shop order is ready to receive materials.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Asanka,

Thank you for your input.  

there is stock standard method available in APP10, it needs custom anyway if we do need picking process to happen at work center inbound location.

Thank you.

Ron

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

typo, there is NO stock standard method available in APP10