Question

How to stop auto issuing of material when approving operations

• 17 February 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

In a shop order that has material tied to a certain operation when the operator approves the operation the material is automatically issued even if a pick list has been created and not reported as picked or if the part has been only reserved.

In many cases the operator can move assemblies to the next operation without having all material connected to the operation issued. But if approved the material is auto issued causing discrepancies with the warehouse. This is critical when many operators work in the same big assembly and it is difficult to keep track of the material used.

Is there a wait to stop this? 

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

In a shop order that has material tied to a certain operation when the operator approves the operation the material is automatically issued even if a pick list has been created and not reported as picked or if the part has been only reserved.

In many cases the operator can move assemblies to the next operation without having all material connected to the operation issued. But if approved the material is auto issued causing discrepancies with the warehouse. This is critical when many operators work in the same big assembly and it is difficult to keep track of the material used.

Is there a wait to stop this? 

Thanks in advance.

Hello John, 

Once the reservation is made then you can create transport task to move product from inventory store location to work center location. If transport task is not executed then IFS will not allow you to issue the material with reporting the operation. You can mark transport task executed once the material picked and delivered it to work center location. Please follow below steps:   

1. Add location to your work center
  2. Reserve material to shop order
  3. Go to inventory part in stock reservation and search by shop order no.
  4. Create transport task to move to work center location (You can automate transport task creation part by using custom event)
  5. Try to report operation for which material is connected 
  6. It will show you an error that transport task is not executed for connected material

Let me know if this works.

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@John Acevedo May I asked how the product physically have been built and approved/moved to next operation if the pick list components not have been moved from the warehouse to the production area?

I mean, it make sense in some way that if you report that a product have gone through a certain production step, the material that goes into the product at this step must have been consumed at this operation?

Badge +2

Hello,

The issue is that the product structure ties the material as it will be ideally assembled and picked/send to the work center, but in reality the operators can move to the next operation without using all the material that in theory will be needed.

We just close the operation because the we move to another phase of the assembly and want to avoid people reporting time to the wrong operation (since there are many phases).

So at the end we just need the issuing completed in the last operation, but it is a bit cumbersome that someone will need to check which material hasn’t been issued and disconnect it from the operation before any of the many operator approve the operation as completed.

The product stays physically in the same work center all the time, there is no movement of the final assembly since it is a giant machine, the operations are just to divide the work force and time the efforts.

What I was thinking is some way to stop the auto issuing kind of what the “simplify material check” does, but that option is only available when receiving the final product into stock at the end of the Shop Order.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks for the clarification of your process @John Acevedo , The problem is more clear to me now. You can prevent a material connected to an operation from being backflushed if you set Reserve/Issue Method to Manual. However, if the material is reserved (which it is when on a pick list) I do believe it will be backflushed anyway. So I have no good solution idea right now.

Badge +2

@RajanKhatri7  Thank you for your answer. I tested and it works. The only issue is that to implement that we will create some extra work for the warehouse people which will need to execute both the transport task and the pick list. But is a good way to stop the auto issuing :)