Solved

Definition of 'Project MRP' (pMRP)

• 1 May 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi,

The business I'm employed by is considering the purchase of Project MRP (or pMRP) to compliment our existing packages (IFS Apps 10 and APB).

However, it's not entirely clear what additional features pMRP provides (and the problems this tackles that the 'stock' planning tools can't).

Can you please outline its key contributions to production planning or at least some information with respect to it. I can't find any detailed resources online for reference.

Many thanks,

Jay

icon

Best answer by Saman K 29 May 2020, 11:12

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

PMRP allows projects to plan and budget better because they see committed and actual costs earlier, allowing them to take action if necessary. Through connected objects, projects can see exactly what manufacturing and purchasing is happening on their project giving them a great view of the supply chain and manufacturing activities. The key to PMRP is to decide what is a project planned part and what is a standard planned part. That decision is made as soon as the new part is created. So engineering need crystal clear guidance on what the criteria is. And if you are already running MRP, that decision will have to retrospectively applied to existing parts and product structures (the direct transfer process uses project/standard planned to set the standard planned item checkbox on the product structures). Through the use of Project Planned Netting Groups and Project Site settings, PMRP can use standard inventory and projects can share surplus inventory eliminating the need for manual transfers between projects.

Every business I've worked in has run Project MRP.

Good luck.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

@JoherM 

//However, it's not entirely clear what additional features pMRP provides (and the problems this tackles that the 'stock' planning tools can't).//

I ll try to answer to that. 

I guess “ stock planning” means, next level demand , order up to planning or reorder point mechanisms. Then those can not handle dependent demands or exploded demands based on the product structure. There is no “ netting process”. Basically “ stock planning” is not aware of the big picture. Whereas MRP does the low level coding first, then explodes the independent demands to create dependent demands and thereby planning time phased supplies to cover the entire demand supply need of all parts in the site. ( or for part and its components in the case of Selective MRP or for entire project, PNG, project activities ).  Hope this helps.

@Saman K 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

“I guess ‘stock planning’ means next level demand, order up to planning or reorder point mechanisms”

By stock planning tools, I meant all the features out of the box. So, having fully exploited those, what distinct benefits does pMRP offer? I wasn’t referring to specific techniques as such. My fault for not clarifying, sorry :)

“There is no netting process”.

That can’t be true. MRP (‘Main Process’) has this task within it’s remit. Such that, for a given project, if there is a scheduled receipt or stock on hand for a component (not reserved) a requisition would not be generated. So, at least a basic form of netting occurs.

….”thereby planning time-phased supplies to cover the entire demand supply need of all parts in the site”…

I believe MRP (again, ‘Main Process’) can also do that. Provided the basic lead time calculation is valid and the Required Date for the demand at the top-level is in the future, time phasing works. The output, i.e. dates given under ‘Infinite Scheduler’ is however rough-cut because it hasn’t taken into account live production data (material availability & current load/queuing at work centers). APB considers those constraints.

My understanding of pMRP is that it allows us to connect orders to a structure (currently done) but that structure is connected to an object (a ‘project’). You can then sort and schedule a project, whilst excluding everything else….?

Is this correct? If so, can I get some elaboration. It seems to be a method of systematically tracing supply items to demand elements, in other words, a form of pegging? is that a fair characterization?   

much appreciated,

Jay

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Let me give some definitions first.

Next level demand,  order point planning, order up to planning ( MRP order code B and C ) are not effected by main MRP process. 

that means demands and supplies for the parts having mrp order code B or C are not planned by MRP.

MRP process - uses “ Netting” and “ BOM Explosion” and low level coding techniques to plan dependent and independent demands. 

We can execute MRP process for  a site . Then all the part in the site are planned using MRP, ( if they have correct order codes , A,E, F ect.)

We can run MRP for specific part , product familty , prodcut group , ect,, then it is called “ Selective MRP” the logic is same 

pMRP ( project MRP ) is a special case if MRP where a user can plan all the supplies and demands for a specific project connected demands.  That is the the difference. pMRP logic will look at the part structure to see if part is “standard planned” or “ non standard planned” . IF non standard planned then it will only be planned by Project MRP ( pmrp ) ,   

I will attach some documentation links here which would be helpful I guess. 

About MRP

http://docweb.corpnet.ifsworld.com/ifsdoc/Apps10/documentation/en/

About Project MRP

the phases of Project MRP

Saman

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi Saman, very interesting thank you. But the links don't work for me, do you have the documents anywhere else you could share with me please?

Many thanks,

Ed

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi Saman,

Appreciate if you can share documents in the link.

Thank you in Advance..!!