Question

Customer Order Reservations

• 5 February 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Is there a mechanism to associate specific lot/batches in inventory with specific customers or customer groups so that the customer order reservation process reserves from specific lot/batches before trying to reserve from others? We are trying find a way to associate specific lots that have the same part number but an alternate structure (e.g. the alternate structure contains a coupon on the packaging) to specific customers so that it reserves the correct lots automatically.

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

As far as I know, when you auto reserve parts to a CO line, IFS uses a FIFO approach (i.e. it just picks the oldest lot batch) but doesn’t discriminate between lot/batch number, or product structure alternate. As far as the reservation process is concerned, if the part number is the same, then the product is identical. I don’t know of any way to link a lot/batch to a customer, or customer group but here’s a few ideas that might help...

Pegged Shop Order

If the parts in question are manufactured via a Shop Order, you might consider pegging the Shop Order to the applicable customer order line. I assume someone is manually editing the Product Structure Alternate on a case by case basis to align it with the specific customer requirements, so that user could also peg the Shop Order at the same time. When parts are received into stock from a pegged shop order, they are instantly reserved to that Customer Order line (removing the need for a user to reserve them).

Alternatively, you could set the “Supply Code” on the CO line to “Shop Order”, which causes a pegged shop order to be created automatically, as soon as the CO is released.

Different top level part numbers

Instead of using alternate structures, you could create separate top level parts numbers to manage the customer specific variations. For example:

When selling a widget to Customer A, you could use part number “Widget-A”, and when selling a widget to Customer B, use part number “Widget-B”. The product structure for Widget A and widget B could consist of a standard (i..e non-customer specific Widget) at level 1 and below, and the customer specific variations can be manged at the very top level...

Level 0: Widget-A

Level 1: Customer A specific part(s)

Level 1: Standard Widget

Level 2: etc..

Level 0: Widget-B

Level 1: Customer B specific part(s)

Level 1: Standard Widget

Level 2: etc..

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thanks Robin.  I was aware of the potential of pegging but we are not always aware of the customer order far enough in advance. 

The idea of a customer specific part number may be helpful, but sales only wants them the use the existing part number. I’ll see how far I can take this idea. We may try to leverage the Sales Part Cross reference to see if that can assist.

I appreciate the insight

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@ghljphillips 

Project Inventory

You might also consider using a Project, and Proejct Inventory. From the Customer Order screen, you can RMB to create a project. Then any parts applicable to that Customer Order can be managed by PMRP. This applies the project reference to all Purhcase Reqs, Purchase Orders, Shop Order Reqs, and Shop Orders, and Inv parts in stock, which in turn prevents those from being allocated to any other project/custoemr order.

Projects do require a bit more admin work however, so might be a bit too complex for your given situation.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

There are new options that take IFS beyond FIFO in applications 10, but I do not know which version you are on.

At the risk of opening Pandora’s box, you might also consider condition codes to achieve what you need as it’s possible to set a condition code requirement on a customer order.

Be wary though - condition codes can be a heavy undertaking so make sure you know what you are getting in to!

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

If you are using APP10, the order reservation logic can be customized in Site > Extended Site Info > Inventory > Automatic reservation tab.

As far as I’m aware, in IFS, you cannot define and assign set of specific lot batches to be reserved against specific set of customers.