Question

Costing shop order and accounting

• 6 July 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi all,

if someone can help in explaining rules system applies in shop order costing and accounting records of stock as some figures are hard to reconcile. We use IFS APP10, run our manufactured products on Standard cost, Cost per lot batch. When we open new item, we would expect that Estimated cost from Shop order cost are used to record receipts of qty on stock prior shop order is closed. However, we see system using quite different numbers some time, and we can not reconcile them to any calculation of the cost. 

Examples below:

Part set up 

This is cost for same shop order which was reported in two steps. Cost per pcs of 3,67907 is one we would expect to be actual based on set up (machine and labor rates, material cost, etc.)

However, the first reported qty per shop order was at cost of 4,19 and estimate in Shop order cost was 5,01. Even weighted average cost of this part we are producing was not 4,19

We see that system is using some figure to report item value on stock prior shop order is closed, and we can not reconcile it. Since we have long running orders of 100k pcs and more, with reporting handling unties that contain only e.g. 70 pcs, the positive and negative variances are sometimes quite big and we can’t explain it to our auditors. 

Does someone know/have an idea where this number could come form, how system generates it, etc. that we could reconcile it. 

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @josbla,

If the part cost level is Cost per Lot Batch, then the first receipt of a new lot batch number will set the standard cost for that lot. If the part is purchased, the purchase order price will be used as a base for the standard cost, if the part is manufactured, the WIP built up on the shop order will be used to calculate a standard cost.

As in your scenario, you are receiving multiple lot against the same order, the first and all the subsequent lot except final lot which you receive should take the estimated unit cost and the final lot cost will be calculated based on the WIP and the variances will be triggered for the differences from the cost of the initially received lots. As your estimated cost is different than the cost of initially received lot, I presume that some change might have happened to shop order eg. Adding new materials or increasing quantity or adding operations or increasing hours which might have increased your estimated cost ( estimated cost can be re-calculated even when shop order in started state by using option calculate order estimated cost)

Regards,

Mithun K V

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @josbla ,

Also, could you please check whether the first lot received before 26.6.2023 as this is the latest estimated cost calculation date as per your screenshot.

Regards,

Mithun K V

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi @EqeMithuV ,

thank you for details, it give me a bit more clarity. 

I did check and first LOT was received on 28/06/2023 at 10,03am. And I see cost on shop order being calculated at 28/06/2023 at 09,59am. 

I did notice on the Shop order cost that accounting is setting some cost buckets to Sunk, and some to Relevant. Could this have an impact on standard cost system uses to calculate cost?

Best regards, 

Josip Blašković

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @josbla ,

I don't see any impact from the sunk cost buckets. Could you please check the cost details for the lot in the inventory part screen and then compare it with the cost buckets values of estimated cost. Then we can at least find which cost bucket contributed to the lower cost of the initial lot

Regards,

Mithun K V

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

hi @EqeMithuV ,

please see below.