• 28 October 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

How can I identify common parts across various Product Structures 

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

IF you are using below App10 , Component where Used can be used for this . In App10

Component summarized Where Used  can be used. ( Prerequisites : cost calculation needs to be performed and Copy it over to Cost set 1) 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi we are using App8 .  Would I not need to go through individual parts to see where they are commonly used .  I thought there might be somewhere we could look for a part used on multiple assemblies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

@klorimer 

No, there is no way I know of to identify as a group the parts that are used in more than one structure.  That is assuming I’m understanding you correctly.  One companies definition of common may not be the same as another’s.  Common to us are components that are used across multiple product lines, not just multiple structures.

You could begin to approximate something using the SQL Query Tool, but would take some work to analyze the accuracy and drill down to what you are looking for.

This gives some data, but we have hundreds of thousands of part numbers so tweaking this to something suitable would require more time than I have.

SELECT ps.contract,ps.component_part,psh.part_no,count(ps.component_part) from AOYOURAPP.prod_structure ps
INNER JOIN AOYOURAPP.prod_structure_head psh ON
psh.contract = ps.contract AND psh.part_no = ps.part_no
WHERE psh.eff_phase_out_date IS NULL 
GROUP BY ps.contract,ps.component_part,psh.part_no

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Thank you , yes common parts to us are where they are used across multiple products structures.  We have this in a fabrication business and therefore we do not work product lines.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Karen, as Kanchana says Component Summarized Where Used screen is the place to go IF you were using Apps10. Here you can search/sort on “No of Products” that component(s) exist in. There are also quite a few other useful Inventory Part/Planning/Costing columns in this overview. From this page, just one click away, you can drill “up” to the products for the specific component.

BUT,  since you are on Apps8, we don’t have the screens in core you are looking for. I guess in some cases the Component Where Used screen can provide some help.

You could try following advanced query in Part Costs screen, as an “SQL where expression”. Just copy&paste the text below:

cost_set = &COST_SET
AND contract = upper('&SITE')
AND PART_NO IN (SELECT PCB.TOP_LEVEL_PART_NO  FROM &AO.PART_COST_BUCKET PCB  WHERE PCB.CONTRACT = UPPER('&SITE')  AND PCB.COST_SET = &COST_SET  AND PCB.PART_NO = UPPER('&PARTNO')  AND PCB.ALTERNATIVE_NO = '*'  AND PCB.ROUTING_ALTERNATIVE_NO = '*')

Then when testing the query, enter cost set, component and site. You will get back all top parts that consists of component X (please note that if you search for cost set 1, then you need to replace part_cost_bucket with part_cost_bucket_one, coz cost set 1 records are stored in another oracle table.

If you think it’s working good for you, don’t forget to save the query with a good name.

If you were working with Product Families and/or Product Codes (as in Shawns use case), then “Commonality Costing” could be interesting for you. Again that functionality has some restrictions, for example, you cannot judge the degree of commonality that a specific purchase item or a sub assembly has.

-Mats