Question

Backwards pegging in Shop Order

Badge +3

Hi,

We are using IFS10 update 15.

Basic setup is so, that we have warehouse in different site than manufacturing is. Customer orders are entered to warehouse site and MS level 1 part is active in warehouse site. 

If there is a need to manufacture more to warehouse, system creates Distribution order to manufacturing site. Also purchase order and customer order between the sites are created automatically. 

In manufacturing site, they create Shop Order and then they do ’backwards pegging’. Sometimes, there is that situation that DO receipt date is two weeks ahead but production has possibility to produce earlier (SO need date is earlier than DO receipt date) → when they do ‘backward pegging’ correctly to SO, Why DO date is not changing ? 

If manufacturing is later than original DO receipt date, then DO date is updated correctly.. 

13 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi Hannah,

Just to confirm, a Shop Order is being created manually then manually pegged to the Customer Order Line?

If this is the case, I believe what you are seeing is the functionality of the system, I wouldn't expect the system to update the dates on the DO If the Shop Order is due to finish early, from a systematic point of view this still satisfies the demand dates.

You say that if the SO dates are amended to a date later than the DO dates, the DO dates are updated? Is this correct? Reason I ask as I wouldn't expect this to happen either as this could have a detrimental effect on the primary demand.

What I expect to happen is a warning message to appear to confirm a date has changed to a Shop Order where manual pegging exists, this message basically highlighting that the pegged demands would need a review.

Badge +3

Hi @COVJAMIEB , 

Thanks from comments. 

I think this is not correct that DO is not updated due to Shop Order. In my opinion the DO date should be updated always due to SO, it should not matter is it later or earlier than original DO date. and it should not matter is SO created manually, SO can be also created in Batch Balance.

Why system is able to update the date to later but not earlier.? 

Customer service in our company is in warehouse site and if they look from the system, they see the wrong manufacturing date and giving wrong information for customer. And in worst case customer can say that it is too late, we will take from another supplier.

in my example: customer service can see 8.4.2023 even though goods are manufactured 22.3.2024.

please confirm:

→ is this IFS standard function?

→ or is there some parameter which may cause/help  this (that I should check)?

-Hanna

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi Hannah,

In my opinion this is the functionality of the system. I am not aware of any setting that allows this. 

Thanks,

Jamie

Badge +3

@COVJAMIEB 

OK, thanks from quick answers! :) 

I try to figure something out.. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@Hanna V I believe a custom event would cater your needs. The event triggering on a change to the supply dates, quantities. If a date or quantity was changed it would update the pegged demand line(s).

Are you able to confirm something. When you change the need date on the Shop Order to a date later than the demand line, what actually happens? Does the user see an information message confirming pegged demand line(s) will be updated or does it just propagate the changes?

The reason I ask this is that I wouldn't expect any changes to the Shop Order to affect the dates on the demand, the customer order line could in theory be pegged to 5 shop orders, each shop order being manufactured on each day of the week, once all shop orders are completed then the customer order is shipped off site. In this situation someone would need to manually intervene if one or many of the shop orders became tardy.

Thanks,

Jamie

Badge +3

Hi @COVJAMIEB 

Just thinking the event myself also… 

I played with one DO and SO again. Results: 

• qty is updated correctly
  • if SO date is later than DO date → DO date is updated
  • if SO date is earlier than DO date → DO date is the original date, system do not change it due to SO ( i think this is not logical, why system does date chenage to later but not earlier..?)
  • there is no info message in any point
  • same results with planned SO as in released SO

in our setup there is only one CO/PO line which is related to DO.

We have noticed problems if there are several lines in CO/PO, while ago someone added by mistake lines and we were stucked with those orders and needed datafix from IFS.

-Hanna

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi Hannah,

I am trying to replicate this in my test environment, is your process as follows?

1. Run MS.
  2. MS creates the DO.
  3. DO is released.
  4. Released DO creates the connected PO and CO.
  5. Manual SO is created.
  6. SO is pegged to CO line.

Something that is confusing me is the Supply Code being ‘Shop Order’ on the CO connected to the DO. To my knowledge the application always hard codes this as 'Invent Order' for DO related CO’s. Do you have any customisations or modifications that override this?

Badge +3

Hi @COVJAMIEB 

We have one IFS modification, but it should not affect to this..

on friday I read the specs to that, but I did not find anything related to supply code. 

Your comment is very interesting → I think I need to discuss more with older colleagues, do they know more about this. 

-Hanna

Badge +3

@COVJAMIEB 

and yes, this is the process for make to stock products. 

we have also make to order products (modification  is connected to this process): 

customer order is released → creates immediately order to manufacturing site → SO is created automatically to status planned

modification is to updated the actual manufactured qty to all orders in this chain. 

Badge +3

I looked a bit from system. 

When new DO is released → supply code in CO is invent order

when DO/CO is pegged to SO → supply code is changed to ‘Shop Order’ 

→ is that standard function? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi Hannah,

My understanding is; standard functionality doesn’t allow a change to the supply code for CO’s connected to a DO. It is always expected that this will be Invent Order. 

Badge +3

@COVJAMIEB 

OK, thanks! 

you have been a good help to me. :) 

it is bit hard to investigate problems in modificated database, when have not worked at all with the standard version.. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

No worries. Feel free to send me a private message or respond back on this if you need anymore help.