Solved

Backflush Settings

• 18 November 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hi all,

We have an issue with our backflush settings. Previously the Backflush Part setting is set to All Locations for all parts. However, there are only some parts where we actively want to backflush. We are seeing cases where users select to backflush during receipt of shop order and unintentionally we consume stock.

I have tried to prevent this by changing the settings to ‘Only Specified Location’ for all parts. On reading of the help and initial test this was perfect. It will prevent backflush, unless you specify a location for backflush on the shop order material or purchase components.

However, the change in this setting appears to prevent automatic reservation of parts. This a a problem as we want parts to be freely reserved and picked via a pick list (or manual issue in some cases). 

Our ideal solution is for backflush to be off completely, unless we specify a location where backflush can take place. Is this possible?

icon

Best answer by Björn Hultgren 23 November 2021, 08:29

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

First, if you want to ensure that a component is reserved and not backflushed, you can set Reserve/Issue Method = Reserved.

Another typical way to control the backflush is to connect the component to be backflushed to the correct operation. Then connect inbound location(s) to the operation work center from where you expect components to be backflushed (for components connected to an operation performed on this work center).

The work center can then be set to Outside Reserve/Backflush = Reserve Allowed. This will make sure components connected to operations performed on this work center can be reserved from any location (typically picking location), but backflush is limited to locations listed here. 

Badge +2

Hi Bjorn,

Firstly, thanks for the quick response. I think the details provided will help our process in some ways. However, perhaps I should clarify the problems further, as we have several scenarios:

1. We wish to specifically disable backflush from one location. Reservations should be possible from all locations. Backflush should be possible from all locations, with ONLY one exception. The reason for this is that the location relates to a warehouse management system, which we have integrated with IFS. The transaction to issue parts from this location should always be triggered from the integrated system and not within IFS. However, we currently see parts reserved to this location and backflushed when items are received. As per your above explanation I think we could use the ‘Reserve Allowed’ setting on work centers, but we would need all picking locations, except for our WMS system location to be connected. This is more maintenance than ideal.
  2. This is the example from the original post. We have some subcontract work, which are using outside operations. We have already connected the materials to the outside operation. When our purchase team chooses a supplier for the subcontracting, we populate the ‘Issue From Location’ with the supplier’s location (stock is moved to a location representing the supplier). When the outside operation is received we want for the backflush to consume stock from the entered ‘Issue From Location’. This works, however if ‘Issue From Location’ is missed it leaves the door open for backflush from other locations which is what we wish to prevent. I am suggesting custom event to populate this to reduce the chance of it being missed. However, perhaps again having inbound locations will limit the areas backflush can be achieved, but we would need one work center per supplier location to fully prevent backflush from other supplier locations?
  3. We have jobs where we wish to enforce reservations. The ‘Reserve/Issue Method = Reserved’ will take care of this. However, it is still not desirable for us to backflush. This applies to all locations and many work centers so the maintenance to use inbound locations is very heavy. My current think is to have ‘backflush’ option unticked at shop order receipt as the default setting (current we have this selected), but the user could still override the setting.

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
  1. Unfortunately I don’t have a good idea on how one specific location can be blocked from backflush (without having to list all allowed locations as inbound locations as earlier described). Was thinking of using  a part availability control on this location, but such can only be setup completely block issue from part on a certain location, so both manual issue and backflush would be blocked which I understand would not work. One additional option might be to connect all your work centers to a production line (unless you are already using production line for another purpose), and on this production line define all backflush allowed locations as inbound and set Outside Reservation/Backflush = Reserve Allowed. This will restrict backflush for any material line connected to an operation connected to a work center connected to this production line similar as is setup per work center. Then you would at least not have to set this for every work center.
  2. I believe this could be solved by setting the Reserve/Issue From flag on Inventory Part/Manufacturing tab to Only Specified Location. This will allow only backflush from the location listed as the “Reserve/Issue from Location” on the shop order material line.
  3. Sounds like a plan. In IEE you can setup the default value for Backflush check box in Receive Shop Order and Approve Operation windows by using RMB>Properties (and corresponding tab in that dialog)
Badge +2
  1. Unfortunately I don’t have a good idea on how one specific location can be blocked from backflush (without having to list all allowed locations as inbound locations as earlier described). Was thinking of using  a part availability control on this location, but such can only be setup completely block issue from part on a certain location, so both manual issue and backflush would be blocked which I understand would not work. One additional option might be to connect all your work centers to a production line (unless you are already using production line for another purpose), and on this production line define all backflush allowed locations as inbound and set Outside Reservation/Backflush = Reserve Allowed. This will restrict backflush for any material line connected to an operation connected to a work center connected to this production line similar as is setup per work center. Then you would at least not have to set this for every work center.
  2. I believe this could be solved by setting the Reserve/Issue From flag on Inventory Part/Manufacturing tab to Only Specified Location. This will allow only backflush from the location listed as the “Reserve/Issue from Location” on the shop order material line.
  3. Sounds like a plan. In IEE you can setup the default value for Backflush check box in Receive Shop Order and Approve Operation windows by using RMB>Properties (and corresponding tab in that dialog)

Thank you again for the guidance. I will look into the production line setup as we are not currently using them.